South Texas Plains
2010 Census - 11,198
2000 Census - 7,322
Hidalgo, Texas
Hidalgo Texas History:
Hidalgo is the oldest city in Hidalgo County. It was originally settled in 1749 as a mission of Reynosa, Mexico; at this time it was known as La Habitacion. It was also known as Rancho San Luis and San Luisto. In 1852, Scotsman John Young settled in the community and renamed it Edinburgh. In 1852, Hidalgo County was formed and Edinburgh became the County Seat. The Edinburg Post Office was established in 1876, and in 1885 the post office changed its name, and therefore the town’s name, to Hidalgo. The earliest courthouses in Edinburg/Hidalgo were destroyed by hurricanes or swept away by floods. In 1908, the town of Chapin became the Hidalgo County seat. Chapin then changed its name to Edinburg. By 1920, the Rio Grande River had changed its course so the town’s 250 residents were forced to move their homes and businesses inland. A ferry transported visitors to Mexico until the international toll suspension bridge was constructed in 1926. Hidalgo is still a port of entry. In 1930 Hidalgo had 630 residents. It incorporated the next year. Colonias are located adjacent to Hidalgo. The proximity of McAllen has contributed to the town’s growth. Hidalgo is located across the Rio Grande River from Reynosa, Mexico at the intersection of SH 336 and U.S. 281/Spur 241, 48.6 miles southeast of Rio Grande City, 30 miles southeast of Los Ebanos, 22 miles southeast of La Joya, 12.4 miles southeast of Mission, 8.4 miles south of McAllen, 19.5 miles south of Edinburg, 11 miles southwest of Pharr, 14 miles southwest of San Juan, 15 miles southwest of Alamo, 20.6 miles southwest of Donna, 22.7 miles southwest of Weslaco, 29 miles southwest of Mercedes, 48.7 miles west of San Benito, 43 miles southwest of Harlingen, 82 miles west of South Padre Island, 33.6 miles west of Los Indios, 26.5 miles west of Santa Maria, 20 miles west of Progreso, and 54 miles northwest of Brownsville, Texas.
Hidalgo County Courthouse, 1886:
This brick courthouse served as the Hidalgo County seat until the county seat was moved to Chapin (later renamed Edinburg) in 1908. The brick was ferried across the Rio Grande River from Reynosa, Mexico. The courthouse lost its second floor, cupola, and roof in an early 20th Century fire. It later served as an immigration and customs office. The courthouse and the 1886 Hidalgo County Jail were built by S.W. Brooks. Click on the above link for vintage photos. The courthouse and jail are located at 1st Street and Flora Avenue, Hidalgo, 78557. 
Hidalgo County Jail, 1886, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Built in 1886 by S. W. Brooks, who also constructed the nearby courthouse, this jail served Hidalgo County during a turbulent period in its history, when outlaw raids were still occurring. The city's first newspaper, "The Hidalgo Advance," was published here from 1904 to 1908. The two-story jail, which features handmade brick and a corbelled cornice along the roofline, served the county until 1908, when the seat of government was moved to Chapin (now Edinburg)." Click on the above link for photos. The jail and courthouse are located at 1st Street and Flora Avenue, Hidalgo, 78557.
Post Office & O’Dell Store, 1889:
The post office was originally built as a general store. The post office was located in a corner of the building until 1913. Store owners William Odell, his wife Josephine, and Gumaro, son of co-owner Desiderio Rodriguez, were postmasters. This 1889 building is located near the Hidalgo water tower, across the street from the 1886 courthouse and jail (1st Street & Flora Avenue).