Contact
 
 
County
Jim Hogg
Region
South Texas Plains
Population
2010 Census - 4,558
2000 Census - 4,498
Nearby
Towns
Hebbronville, Texas
null
Hebbronville, Texas History:
Hebbronville is located on land which was once part of the Las Noriacitas Ranch, one of the earliest area ranches. The town was established in 1883 when the Texas Mexican Railroad (known as Tex-Mex) built a line through the area to connect Corpus Christi with Laredo. At the time, Francisco Pena was stationmaster at the railroad stop and he named it Pena; he refused to sell a right-of-way to the railroad, so the railroad loaded the station onto a flatcar and moved it 1.5 miles west to land owned by rancher James Hebbron who was willing to sell land to the railroad for a new townsite. The Hebbronville post office was established in 1895. By 1896 the town had a general store and 150 residents. In 1913 the town became the county seat of the newly established Jim Hogg County. In 1915 Hebbronville had a bank, 8 grocery stores, a drugstore, 13 cattle breeders and a population of 400. Today Hebbronville is a ranching area; hunting is a popular activity. All Jim Hogg County students attend schools in the Jim Hogg County ISD in Hebbronville. Hebbronville’s central plaza features a kiosk and is the site of many community activities. Hebbronville has a small motel; Maria’s Restaurant is located adjacent to the motel. The town is located at the intersections of U.S. 16 (Smith Street), SH 359, SH 285, and FM 1017, 53 miles southwest of Alice, 54 miles northeast of Zapata and Falcon Reservoir, 63 miles southwest of Kingsville, 56 miles southeast of Laredo, and 35 miles west of Falfurrias, Texas.
 
Scotus College, Franciscan Seminary, 1926:
In the 1920s and 1930s the Franciscan Seminary relocated to Hebbronville to escape religious persecution in Mexico; it is still owned by the Archdiocese of Guadalajara, Mexico, and is the most impressive building in town. The priests returned to Mexico in the early 1950s; today the building is occupied by local Franciscan priests.  
 
Hotel Viggo:
The original portion of the hotel was built by C.F. Luque in 1915; it was owned by Viggo Kohler. Soon after opening it served as a fortress for area residents who feared an attack by Pancho Villa’s men. The south wing was added in 1924 during the oil boom. Click on the above link for a photo. The abandoned hotel is located on the courthouse square at 205 North Smith Street (SH 16).
 
Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, 1950s:
The church is faced with pink granite and has a blue dome similar to those found in Mexico. The hand carved cedar alters were brought in from San Luis Potosi, Mexico. (361) 527-3865. 504 E. Santa Clara Street.
 
Jim Hogg County Courthouse, 1913:
This is Jim Hogg County’s original courthouse, the only courthouse the county has built. The courthouse was originally designed in Texas Renaissance style by Henry T. Phelps of San Antonio. The east side of the courthouse is the original structure; the west side was added in 1981; the remodeling created a more classical revival style. The 2010 Jim Hogg County census was 5,300. The courthouse is located at the corner of North Smith Street (SH 16) and East Santa Clara Street, Hebbronville, Texas 78361.  
 
Jim Hogg County Historic Plaza & Veterans Monument:
The renovated plaza features a Veterans Memorial dedicated to all veterans. 
 
Old Jim Hogg County Jail & Museum, 1914:
The jail was designed by architect Henry T. Phelps, the same architect who designed the Jim Hogg County Courthouse; it served as a jail until 1981. The jail houses the Jim Hogg County Museum. The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Hebbronville and Jim Hogg County. Click on the above link for a photo. The jail is located just north of the county courthouse.
 
Jim Hogg County Public Library:
(371) 527-3421. The library is located at 210 North Smith Street (SH 16).
 
Santa's Texas Workshop & Christmas House:
For over 30 years the Minton sisters have been offering tours of the Santa’s Texas Workshop beginning in the fall and lasting through March. The store is open the remainder of the year by appointment only. Call if you want to shop for Christmas items. (361) 325-2068. (800) 276-4339. 1188 East Jim Wells County Road 401. CR 401 is located midway between Falfurrias and Premont on U.S. 281. When driving north out of Falfurrias watch for the U.S. flag painted barn and the Blue and gold La Gloria I.S.D. Home of the Eagles sign on the right side of the highway; CR 401 will be the next right turn. After turning onto CR 401, drive 2.5 miles to Santa’s Texas Workshop.
 
Annual Fiesta del Rancho, 3 Days in Early October, Concepcion, TX:
This three day celebration features top Tejano music artists, a carnival, parade, concessions, outdoor dancing, bingo, a trail ride from Realitos to Concepcion, a Cabrito Guisado (kid stew) Cook-off, a singing contest, and other activities. A small admission fee applies. Ranch: (361) 816-5983. (361) 539-4231. (361) 474-0637. Check the above link for annual changes in contact numbers. P.O. Box 54, Concepcion, Texas 78349. This event is held at the Civic Center Fair Grounds in Concepcion. The Trail Ride begins in Realitos and ends in Concepcion; proof of a negative coggins test required. The $15 trail ride fee includes lunch. Concepcion is located on FM 716, southwest of Alice, northwest of Falfurrias, northeast of Hebbronville, a few miles southeast of Ramirez, and midway between Premont and Realitos, Texas. Concepcion Map; Click to Enlarge  Realitos Area Map
 
Jim Hogg County Vaquero Festival, First Weekend in November:
The celebration honors vaqueros (Mexican or Spanish cowboys) who displayed top skills in horsemanship, roping, and handling cattle. Today the name applies to any cowboy who displays such skills. Event activities include an art show and silent auction at the Pink House, a parade, a trail ride, skills tests, live entertainment, a mariachi contest, a cook-offs, a street dance and vendor booths.
This event is held at Jim Hogg County Plaza at the courthouse square. Email  More Contacts  
 
Frank's Café & Paco’s Pool Hall, 1919:
The café was established by the Gutierrez family as a mercantile store and cantina. It is decorated with Marilyn Monroe memorabilia. The restaurant is an area institution and a favorite restaurant of the locals and visitors, especially hunters. They serve good home cooking including Mexican food. This café was featured in the Texas Monthly magazine. Click on the above link for reviews. Paco’s pool hall is located in the same building as the café. (361) 527-9081. 502 E. Galbraith Street, Hebbronville, TX 78361. Map  Reviews