Contact
 
 
County
Carson
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 574
2000 Census - 587
Nearby
Towns
Groom, Texas
null
Groom Texas History:
In 1902, the townsite was platted on the route of the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway. Frank S. Dysart established the first general store-post office the same year. In 1903, C. R. (Lum) Slay opened a second mercantile store and became postmaster. By 1906, Groom had a barbershop, a bank, a hotel, a lumberyard, a school, and several stores. Groom incorporated in 1911 when it had over 250 residents. The town became a shipping point for area ranches and farms. In 1990, the population was 613. Among the town's attractions is a 190-foot-tall cross erected in 1995. Perhaps the largest cross in the northern hemisphere, Groom's cross has become a roadside shrine and destination for pilgrims. In 2000, Groom had forty-five businesses and a population of 587. Groom is located on the historic Route 66 at the intersection of U.S. 40 (Route 66) and RR 295, 30 miles west of McLean, and 42 miles east of Amarillo, Texas.   
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
 
Historic Route 66:
Also known as the Will Rogers Highway, and colloquially known as the “Main Street of America” or the “Mother Road,” Route 66 was established in 1926 with road signs erected in 1927. The 2,448 miles highway originally ran from Chicago, Illinois, through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California before ending at Los Angeles, California. A Route 88 slogan was “Get Your Kicks on Route 66.”It was immortalized in a hit song recorded by the Nat King Cole Trio in 1946, and by the 1960s Route 66 television show. Route 66 served as a major path for those who migrated west, especially during the Dust Bowl of the 1930s, and it supported the economies of the communities through which the road passed. People doing business along the route became prosperous due to the growing popularity of the highway, and those same people later fought to keep the highway alive in the face of the growing threat of being bypassed by the new Interstate Highway System. In 1985 Route 66 was officially removed from the U.S. Highway System after being replaced by the Interstate Highway System. After the road was decommissioned in 1985, federal and state agencies, private organizations, and numerous members of public realized that remnants of the road were quickly disappearing, and that the remaining significant structures, features, and artifacts associated with the road should be preserved. In 1990, the U.S. Congress passed Public Law 102-400, the Route 66 Study Act of 1990. The act recognized that Route 66 "has become a symbol of the American people's heritage of travel and their legacy of seeking a better life." The legislation resulted in the National Park Service conducting the Route 66 Special Resource Study to evaluate the significance of Route 66 in American history, and to identify options for its preservation, interpretation, and use. The document provides an in-depth account of significance and history of Route 66. This study led to enactment of Public Law 106-45, and the creation of the Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program.Several states have established Route 66 State Associations. Texas towns located along Route 66 include, Lela, Shamrock, McLean, Alanreed, Jericho, Groom, Lark, Conway, Amarillo, Bushland, Wildorado, Vega, Adrain, and Glenrio, Texas.  
 
Scenic Drives:
There are several scenic drives offering magnificent views of Tule and Caprock Canyons. Take SH 207 between Silverton and Claude. Another beautiful drive is SH 256 from Silverton to the northern boundary of Caprock Canyons State Park and down the historic Schotts Cap Road. SH 86 between Silverton and Quitaque offers scenic vistas. Travel south out of Quitaque on FM 1065 for four miles, and then take FM 689 to cross Caprock Canyons State Park Trailway at Monk’s Crossing and ascend the Caprock for a spectacular view.
 
Groom Texas White Cross & Leaning Water Tower:
Groom is well known for its 192 foot tall white cross that can be seen from 20 miles away. The cross was built in 1995 by Steve Thomas of Pampa, Texas. A beautiful stone patio at the base of the cross features steps leading up to the white cross and other crosses, a replica of Calvary and Christ’s tomb, the Stations of the Cross, and lift sized statues depicting events leading up to Christ’s crucifixion. This site is located on private property west of Groom, between IH-40 and the old Route 66. Ballinger, Texas features a 100 foot tall cross built in 1993. The Britton leaning water tower was designed with one leg shorter than the others.
 
Volkswagen Slug Bug Ranch, Conway, Texas:
Five VW Beetles are spray painted and buried nose down much the same as the Cadillacs at Amarillo’s Cadillac Ranch. There is also a spray painted 1930s truck on the grounds. Bring your own spray paint. The Bug Ranch is located on IH-40. From Amarillo on Route 66, exit left onto FM 207 in Conway to IH-40. Conway is located on SH 207, approximately 10 miles south of Panhandle,30 miles southeast of Amarillo, 7 miles north of Claude, and 15 miles west of Groom, Texas. 
 
The Grill:
They serve good food and that includes variety of menu items including great breakfast items, main entrees, sandwiches and salads. They also bake homemade cakes. (806) 248-0202. They are located on Old Route 66 in Groom. Email  Reviews