Contact
 
 
County
Tarrant
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 741,206
2000 Census - 534,694
Nearby
Towns
Fort Worth, Texas
null
Fort Worth Texas History:
In January 1849, U.S. Army General William Jenkins Worth proposed a line of ten forts to protect the West Texas frontier between Eagle Pass and present day Fort Worth. After General Worth’s death in May death from cholera, Major Ripley Arnold established a fort on the bank of the Trinity River and named it Fort Worth. Two months later, the fort was relocated to a bluff overlooking the Clear Fork of the Trinity River. George Press Farmer was already living on the bluff, and he established the first sutler’s store. The Fort Worth community grew up around the fort. When the fort was abandoned in 1853, the settlers took control of the fort. By 1856, the town had general stores, department stores, a school and a flour mill, and was a stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail Route and the Southern Pacific Stage Line between Texas and California. The town suffered during the Civil War, but soon recovered after the war. In 1855, Fort Worth residents became embroiled in a five year bitter fight to wrestle the Worth County seat title away from Birdville, the Worth County seat since 1849. In April 1860, Fort Worth became the county seat and began constructing a stone courthouse. Fort Worth incorporated in 1873. By 1867, Fort Worth was known as “Cowtown” because of the millions of cattle passing through town on the Chisholm Trail. Northern cattle buyers set up headquarters in town, and their cowboys were supplied by a large number of Fort Worth businesses.The cowboys’ disreputable entertainment district located several blocks south of the courthouse was known all over the west as “Hell’s Half Acre.” The 1876 arrival of the Texas and Pacific Railway turned Fort Worth into a cattle shipping center. The Union Stockyards were completed 2.5 miles north of the Tarrant County courthouse in 1889. The Niles City community grew up around the Stockyards. By 1900, Armour & Co. and Swift & Co. had built packing plants adjacent to the Stockyards. The first Fat Stock Show was held in 1896. It later became known as the Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show and was held in its own venue, the 1908 Northside Coliseum. In 1909, Lake Worth was impounded. Meacham Field Airport opened in 1927. Passenger service was provided by locally operated Braniff Airways and American Airlines. After the 1927 discovery of oilSinclair Refining Company, Texaco and Humble Oil (it later became Exxon) built refining plants in the area.During World War I the United States Army established Camp Bowie, a training camp, in the Arlington Heights area. Fort Worth is the fifth largest city in Texas, and the 16th largest city in the United States. Fort Worth is located on the Clear Fork of the Trinity River on IH-35 West, IH-20, IH-30, 86 miles north of Waco, 49 miles east of Mineral Wells, 38.5 miles southwest of Denton, 30 miles east of Weatherford, 15.8 miles west of Arlington, and 36 miles west of Dallas, Texas.  
 
Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base and Carswell Air Force Base:  
This military airfield is operated by the U.S. Navy. It is located partially in Fort Worth, Westworth Village, and White Settlement, Texas. Units based at this base include theSeabees, the Air Force Reserve Command's Tenth Air Force headquarters, the 301st Fighter Wing, and the 136th Airlift Wing of the Texas Air National Guard. A number of Marine Corps aviation and ground units are also co-located at NAS Fort Worth JRB.(817) 782-7815. 
 
Charlie Company Vietnam Memorial in the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens:
During the Vietnam War the City of Fort Worth adopted what was formerly known as Charlie Company 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry, 173rd Airborne Brigade. The memorial commemorates the City of Fort Worth and its residents who supported Charlie Company during the Vietnam War. (817) 871-7686. 3320 Botanic Garden Boulevard, 76107.
 
Tarrant County Courthouse, 1895:
This red Texas granite building was designed in Renaissance Revival style by architects Gunn & Curtis, and built by the Probst Construction Company of Chicago between 1893 and 1895. This courthouse closely resembles the Texas State Capital with the exception of the clock tower. The cost was $408,840 and citizens considered it such a public extravagance that a new County Commissioners' Court was elected in 1894. The 2010 Tarrant County census was 1,809,034. (817) 884-1111. 100 East Weatherford Street.
 
Historic 1931 U.S. Post Office 76101, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The Fort Worth Post Office was established in 1856 with pioneer settler Julian Field serving as Postmaster. The central offices were moved here in 1933 when this building was completed. Designed by the Fort Worth firm of Wyatt C. Hedrick, it features interior detailing of marble, bronze, and gold leaf. Exterior ornamentation reflects the significance of the cattle industry in the development of the area.” 251 W Lancaster Avenue.
 
Santa Fe Train Depot (Now Ashton Depot), 1899 and Freight Station:
The depot was built in 1899 in beaux art style with native stone banding and decorative brick work. The contractors were David Smith and John Bardon; the architect is unknown. The building served many Fort Worth railroads including Amtrak. The renovated depot now serves as an event venue for the Ashton Hotel. The freight station houses the University of Texas at Arlington Fort Worth Center. 1501 Jones Street, 76102.