2000 Census - 1,951
Eldorado Texas History:
In 1878, the State of Texas gave a land grant in the Ozona area to the Houston East and West Texas Railway Company as a railroad right-of-way, but the railroad did not build a through the area. In 1895, W. B. Silliman purchased a half interest in a section of the land grant, surveyed the land, and established the town of Eldorado. He opened a store and offered free lots to the residents of the nearby community of Verand. Many accepted his offer and moved their homes, businesses and their post office to Eldorado. By 1896, Eldorado had two general stores and 100 residents. In 1901, Eldorado became the county seat of the newly organized Schleicher County. The town thrived as the commercial center for area ranches. Eldorado incorporated in 1925. They dis-incorporated in 1927 because they disliked the higher taxes and the ordinance requiring the all livestock located with the city be penned. The town was reincorporated in 1929. In 1930, the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway built a line between Sonora and San Angelo via Eldorado. By 1941, Eldorado was the region’s principal wool processing center. Eldorado is the sight of the Yearning for Zion Ranch. Eldorado is located at the intersections of U.S. 190 (Murchison Avenue), U.S. 277 (Divide Street), RR 915, and RR 2596, 45 miles southwest of San Angelo, 51 miles west of Menard, 34 miles west of Fort McKavett State Historic Site, 59.8 miles northwest of Junction, 21.5 miles north of Sonora, 48.7 miles northeast of Ozona, and 33.5 miles southeast of Mertzon, Texas.
Schleicher County Courthouse, 1924:
The stone courthouse was designed in classical revival style by architect Henry T. Phelps. The native stone was quarried from nearby quarries. The 2010 Schleicher County census was 3,461. The courthouse is located at the corner of 2 Divide Street (U.S. 190/U.S. 277) and Murchison Avenue. (325) 853-2766. 2 Divide Street, Eldorado, Texas 76936.
Schleicher County Jail, 1905:
The limestone jail was built by T.S. Hodges. The gallows were never used. The jail was vacated in the early 1960s. It now houses the offices of the Schleicher County Appraisal District. It is located adjacent to the courthouse.
Schleicher County Museum:
The museum is housed in the 1922 Eldorado Hardware Store building. Open Thu-Sat. (325) 650-9553.
Eldorado Woolen Mill Museum:
The 1939 Eldorado Woolen Mill was the first woolen mill built in Texas. The building now houses a woolen museum. The museum shows the processing of wool from the raw fiber to the finished product. Tours are available by appointment. (325) 226-3383. 407 South Main Street.
Tom Ratliff Civic Theater, 1930:
The theater was built in 1930 to house the Lone Star (movie) Theater. In 1961, Tom Ratliff purchased the building to house his insurance agency. In 1994, Tom’s wife gifted the building to “The Way off Broadway Players,” a community theater group.
Schleicher County Public Library:
The library is housed in a 1950 store building. It provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. (325) 853-3767. 164 East U.S. 190.
The Hysterical District is a roadside park featuring dozens of quirky signs hand-painted by resident eccentric Jim Runge. Jim Runge Article
Annual Running of the Bulls Festival, July:
The festival is held during the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain. The Eldorado festival has gained traction; it features the Biggest Lie contest, musical routines, animal acts, impersonations, extemporaneous speaking, legal mumbo jumbo, Flim Flam, tongue twisters, backwards talk, cowboy poetry, Burma Shave, costuming, skits, stunts and any other talk that qualifies as bull. (325) 853-2434. This event is held around the courthouse square.