Contact
 
 
County
Fayette
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 44
Nearby
Towns
Dubina, Texas
null
Dubina Texas History:
In November 1856, a group of Czech settlers took refuge from storm under a grove of large oak trees in what is now Dubina. Included in this group were Frank Marak, Joseph Kahlich, Ignac Sramek, Joseph Peter, Valentine Holub, Ignac Muzny, Valentine Haidušek, and Frank Kossa. The next day the settlers built a shelter and began establishing farms. Many of Dubina’s early settlers served in the Civil War, including Augustine Haidusek who learned English during the war and later became the first lawyer of Czech descent in the United States. Soon after the war, the Dubina settlers established a cotton gin, a general store, saloon, meat market, blacksmith shop, hotel, mill, zoo, a post office, and a telegraph office. They named the town Navidad, then later Bohemian Navidad. Augustine Haidusek renamed it Dubina (Czech for Oak Grove). Dubina soon became the stop over place for Czech settlers entering Texas. In 1876, the historic Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church was built on land donated by Joseph Peter. The church was destroyed in the 1909 hurricane. It was rebuilt and the interior painted in 1912. In 1873, the railroad line was built between Weimar and Schulenburg. It bypassed Dubina, preventing the town’s future growth. The historic Piano Bridge was built in 1885 by the King Iron Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio. The Katolicka Jednota Texaska, a Catholic men’s fraternal organization, was established in 1887. A 1912 fire destroyed most of the town causing many settlers to leave the area. Dubina is located on Piano Bridge Road (FM 615), just east of the Navidad River and just west of FM 1383, two miles north of IH-10, 5.5 miles northwest of Weimar, 6.9 miles northeast of Schulenburg, 6 miles slightly northeast of High Hill, 6 miles south of Ammannsville, 17 miles southwest of Moravia, and 18.5 miles south of La Grange, Texas.  
 
Historic Town of Dubina, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Dubina, which derives its name from the Czech word for Oak Grove, was founded in 1856 by a group of Moravian immigrants, including the Marak Kahlich, Sramek, Peter, Holub, Muzny, and Haidusek families. By 1900 the farming community had erected a church building, mill, cotton gin, blacksmith shop, store, and post office. A 1909 storm and a 1912 fire caused extensive damage from which the town never recovered. As the first settlement in Texas to be founded entirely by Czech-Moravians, Dubina remains an important part of the state's regional and cultural history.” The marker is located on FM 1383 (Piano Road) in Dubina.
 
Dubina Historic District, National Register of Historic Places, Partial Text:
“The Dubina Historic District represents the heart of a rural community developed by Czech Moravian immigrants.  It lies along Farm-to-Market Road (FM) 1383 in southeastern Fayette County, just north of Interstate-10 and approximately midway between San Antonio and Houston, in the rich Blackland Prairie of South Central Texas.  Dubina’s immediate surroundings are still predominately used for agriculture, and the character of the landscape has changed little in the past 50 years.  The district’s contributing properties include an active Catholic church, Saints (Sts.) Cyril and Methodius, and its associated cemetery, as well as an active social hall of the KJZT, a Czech Catholic benevolent organization in Texas.  Although some surrounding ruins attest to the prior presence of commerce and industry in Dubina, only the church, cemetery and social hall have remained in use, and together they form the social and cultural center of this unique rural community.  With only minimal changes to the buildings and a remarkably intact setting, the Dubina Historic District retains a high degree of integrity…”
 
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services.
 
Saints Cyril and Methodius Church, Painted 1912:
The first church was built in 1876 on land donated by one of the original Dubina settlers, Joseph Peter. It was destroyed in the 1909 hurricane and rebuilt and the interior painted in 1912. The name of the painter is unknown. The new church was designed in gothic revival style by noted Texas architect Leo Dielmann who also designed the Fredericksburg and High Hill Painted Churches. This interior of this church is probably the most beautiful of all the Texas painted churches. The church holds Sunday Mass. It is located in Dubina on FM 1383, approximately 7 miles northeast of Schulenburg, 5 miles south of Ammannsville, and just west of Weimer.  
 
Historic KJZT Hall, Partial National Register of Historic Places Text:
“The 1936 KJZT Hall #6 is located slightly northeast of Sts. Cyril and Methodius Church. The current building includes the original hall, a rectangular wood framed building with a gabled roof concealed behind a neobaroque façade, and a hipped-roof addition, created from an existing building relocated in the 1970s, extending from the hall’s southeast corner to form an ell.  Both sections rest on pier-and-beam foundations and are sheathed in wood siding, although the siding on the original section has a wider profile.  Both sections also have metal roofs with exposed rafter tails.  Gabled porches project from the front and side of the original hall, and a simple shed-roofed porch extends across the length of the addition…”
 
Piano Bridge Road Bridge on the East Navidad River, 1885:
This historic Pratt through truss bridge was built in 1885 by the King Iron Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Workin Bridges, an Iowa based company that restores historic bridges, disassembled the Piano Bridge on site, restored it, and then reassembled it on site to be reopened for vehicular traffic. The bridge is located on Piano Bridge Road just east of Dubina. Click on the above link for restoration photos.
 
Sengelmann Dance Hall & Restaurant, 1890s, Schulenburg:
The building has been beautifully restored and reopened in 2009. It features the original 115 year old, long leaf pine dance floor, a restaurant, saloon, biergarten, and a Czech bakery. The restaurant and biergarten offer live music and dancing Thursday through Saturday. Many well-known musicians have played here including Billy Joe Shaver, Cory Morrow, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Asleep at the Wheel, Billy Mata, Bobby Flores, and others. The hall hosts live music and Big Dance Shows. The restaurant is open Wed-Thu, 11am-2:30pm and 5pm-9pm; Fri, 11am-2:30pm and 5pm-9:30pm; Sat, 11am-9:30pm. The saloon is open Wed-Thu until 11pm; Fri until 11:30pm. Hours are seasonal. The dance hall is not necessarily open every weekend. If you are driving a long distance, call to verify hours before arriving. The restaurant, saloon and biergarten are available for private parties. (979) 743-2300. The dance hall is located at 531 North Main Street in Schulenburg. Facebook