Contact
 
 
County
Dallas
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 1,197,816
2000 Census - 1,188,580
Nearby
Towns
Dallas, Texas
null
Dallas Texas History:
In 1841 when Indian attacks were still prevalent in the area, Dallas founder John Neely Bryan established a trading post at a ford on the east bank of the Trinity River. In 1844, the peace Treaty of Tehuacana Creek was signed by the Republic of Texas and twelve Indian tribes. By signing the treaty, the Texas government and the Comanche, Keechi, Waco, Caddo, Anadarko, Ioni, Delaware, Shawnee, Cherokee, Lipan Apache and the Tawakoni Indian tribes committed themselves to cease all hostilities and to work to establish cooperative commercial and political ties. This treaty provided a measure of safety for those wishing to settle in the Dallas area. After the signing of the treaty, extensive promotions by the Peters Colony attracted settlers to the region. In 1844, J. P. Dumas platted the half mile square townsite. The origin of the name Dallas is unknown. In 1846, voters elected Dallas the permanent county seat of the newly formed Dallas County. Dallas quickly became a commercial center for the surrounding area ranchers and farmers. An 1860, fire destroyed most of the town’s businesses. After the Civil War (1862-1865), former slaves flocked to Dallas and settled in freedmen’s towns on the city’s periphery. Because navigating the Trinity River was impractical, Dallas businessmen sought rail service for the city. Their efforts paid off and the Houston and Texas Central Railroad began providing services in 1872, and the Texas and Pacific Railroad arrived in 1873, making Dallas one of the first rail crossroads in Texas. While cotton was the town’s primary industry, Dallas became the world center for the leather and buffalo-hide trade. By 1890, Dallas had 38,067 residents, making it the largest Texas city. It had also become a major banking and insurance center. Dallas businessmen organized the State Fair of Texas in 1886. During World War I, the fairgrounds were used as a temporary army camp. By 1916, Dallas had eight railroad companies which had organized themselves into the Union Terminal Company . That year they organized the downtown railroad depots, built five miles of track within Dallas, removed the tracks from Pacific Avenue, and built the Union Terminal Building. Like most Texas towns, Dallas suffered economically during the Great Depression as cotton prices, retail sales and bank deposits fell. The town grew slowly during the next ten years, increasing from 260,475 residents in 1930 to 294,734 residents in 1940.The 1930 discovery of the East Texas oil field helped the economy helped the town weather some of the effects of the depression. In 1930, the massive engineering effort began to move the Trinity River channel and confine it between levies brought more jobs. The success of Dallas businessmen in making the 277 acre Fair Park the site of the Texas Centennial celebration added many jobs for local builders, contractors and businessmen, and brought in 10 million visitors. During World War II, Dallas was a major site for war-related industries which employed more than 75,000 industrial workers in 1944. In 1959, two developers established what would become the Dallas Market Center, the largest wholesale trade complex in the world. The opening of Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport in 1974 attracted numerous corporate headquarters to Dallas, and enabled Dallas to become national financial and business center. Between 1960 and 1990, the population grew from 679,684 to 1,006,877. On November 22, 1963, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated while riding in a motorcade through Dealey Plaza, only yards from the site where John Neely Bryan had settled in 1841. In 1993, Dealey Plaza was declared a National Historic Landmark District, the city's second designation after Fair Park. The City of Dallas has owned Fair Park since 1904. Other municipal facilities include the City Hall, designed by I. M. Pei; the Dallas Convention Center, the Dallas Public Library, the Dallas Zoo, Union Terminal, Love Field, the Dallas Museum of Art, the Morton Meyerson Symphony Hall, and the Dallas Arboretum.The Dallas-Fort Worth area is the largest metropolitan area in the south and the fourth largest in the United States. In 2010, Dallas was the third largest city in Texas (after Houston & San Antonio) and the 9th largest city in the U.S. Dallas is located at the intersections of Loop IH-635, IH-20, IH-30, IH-45, IH-35E, U.S. 175, U.S. 75, U.S. 80 and several state highways (SH), 35 miles slightly northeast of Fort Worth, 73 miles south of Denison and the Texas-Oklahoma state line, 240 miles northwest of Houston, 173.5 miles northwest of College Station, 277 miles northeast of San Antonio, 199 miles northeast of Austin, 98 miles northeast of Waco, and 640 miles northeast of El Paso, Texas.
 
Dallas County Courthouse, 1966:
This modern courthouse was constructed in 1966. An addition was added to the east side during a remodeling. The 2010 Dallas County Census was 2,368,139. (214) 653-7011. 600 commerce Street, Dallas, Texas 75202. Dallas County Map    

Dallas County Courthouse, "Old Red," 1892:
This granite and sandstone courthouse was designed in Romanesque revival style by architects Orlopp and Kusener. Its grand tower was removed in 1909 and was rebuilt in 2005-2007. Today it houses the Old Red Museum and the Dallas Tourist Information Center. 100 South Houston Street, 75202.