Contact
 
 
County
Jackson
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 5,499
2000 Census - 5,899
Nearby
Towns
Edna, Texas
null
Edna Texas History:
In 1882, the New York, Texas and Mexican Railroad built a line from Rosenberg to Victoria, bypassing Texana, the Jackson County Seat. The new town of Edna was platted on land owned by Lucy Flournoy who conveyed the right-of-way and a half interest in the town to the railroad. The railroad was promoted and built by Italian Count Joseph Telferner who named the town after his daughter; other Texas towns are named for other family members. The NYT&M Railroad was nicknamed the “Macaroni” after the Italian workmen who built the lines. Many of the Italian workmen later established homes in the area. In 1883, Edna was elected the new Jackson County seat. The Texana Presbyterian Church moved their sanctuary eight miles to Edna. Today the renovated sanctuary is the oldest public building in Jackson County and serves as the Edna Cultural Center. The Edna post office was established in 1886. Edna suffered a devastating fire in 1906; much of the business district was destroyed. Edna is the gateway to Lake Texana which inundated the former site of Texana, Texas. Current Edna industries include agriculture, cattle ranching, petroleum and natural gas production, and the oil service industry. Edna is located near the Lampasas, Navidad and Lavaca Rivers at the intersections of U.S. 59 (Main Street), SH 111 (Wells Street) , FM 1822 (Apollo Drive), and FM 822, 26 miles southwest of El Campo, approximately 8 miles southwest of Ganado, 26 miles northeast of Victoria, and 43 miles north of Port Lavaca, Texas.  
 
Jackson County Historical Driving Tour:
There are several historical buildings and Texas historical markers in Jackson County. A Brochure, “Guide to Historical Markers in Jackson County Texas,” is available from the Jackson Chamber of Commerce. (361) 782-7146. 317 W. Main Street, Edna, Texas 77957. Email
 
Jackson County Courthouse, 1954:
The brick and concrete courthouse was designed in modern style by architect F. Perry Johnson. It was built to replace the 1906 Beaux-Arts style courthouse. Texas Historical markers are located on the grounds. Monuments include the Centennial Monument, and a monument dedicated to U.S. Navy veteran Irwin Moore Laughter who lost his life in Mazatian, Mexico while on a mission to capture Poncho Villa. Click on the above title link to view the 1906 beaux-arts courthouse. The Jackson County 2000 census was 14,431. It was 14,075 in 2010. 
 
Old Jackson County Jail, 1922:
The old jail housed prisoners upstairs and the sheriff’s family downstairs. It now houses the Otto Lawrence Children’s Museum. It is located northwest of the courthouse behind the Texana Museum at the corner of Cypress and Ed Linn Streets.
 
La Salle Odyssey Projects, Museum of the Costal Bend:
Seven museums tell the story of La Salle’s ship La Belle’s ill-fated 1686 expedition, her sinking, and the discovery and excavation of the La Belle and Fort St. Lewis 300 years later. The museums include the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History, The Texas Maritime Museum in Rockport, the Texana Museum in Edna, the Calhoun County Historical Museum in Port Lavaca, the Museum of the Coastal Bend in Victoria, the Matagorda County Museum in Bay City, and the La Petite Belle Homeport and Palacios Area Historical Museum in Palacios, Texas.  
 
Texana Museum & Library Association:
The museum features exhibits on the Karankawa Indians and their role in the La Salle Expedition, and exhibits depicting the history of Jackson County. Exhibits include a rare violin (over 300 years old), a rosewood Chickering Piano (135 plus years old), an old country store and turn of the century dentist’s office, cowboy displays, a barbed wire collection, and the lower jaw of a prehistoric Giant Elephant. The museum is located in the 1922 Jackson County Jail. The exterior of the building features murals depicting early Jackson County history. Museum tours are available. Open Thu-Fri, 1pm-5pm, or by group appointment. (361) 782-5431. The museum is located at 403 N. Wells, Edna, Texas 77957.  
 
Edna Theater, 1949:
This stunning theater has a wide interior staircase leading to a balcony. It is in the process of being restored. When completed the theater will hosts preforming arts. 201 West Main Street.
 
Texana Arts Council:
This non-profit promotes the arts in Jackson County. The group’s most recent project was raising money for the remodeling the 1950 Edna Theater which has been sold to a private individual. Other projects include the Jackson County Museum and the Texana Center for the Arts. Email
 
Texana Center for the Arts:
This non-profit arts program was established in approximately 2010 by Sally Pryor. She teaches art to young children who lack other interests. She also hosts a summer camp program. The Center is located at 130 West Main Street, across from the Edna Theatre. (361) 781-0702.
 
Flag City Opry:
Shows are held the 3rd Tuesday of each month, 7pm-9:30pm. Tickets are $5. A catered meal is held at 6pm; tickets are $6. The Jackson County 4H students and county church groups sell refreshments during the meal and throughout the show. Profits from show tickets are donated to Hospice of South Texas; no profits are derived from the catered meals.(361) 782-9211. Shows are held at the Jackson County Services Building in downtown Edna at the southeast corner of SH 111 (Wells Street) and Cedar Street. 
 
Jackson County Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Wed, 9am-5pm; Thu, 9am-7pm; Fri, 9am-3pm; closed weekends. (361) 782-2162. 411 North Wells Street, Room 212.