Contact
 
 
County
Aransas
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 1,358
2000 Census - 1,553
Nearby
Towns
Fulton, Texas
null
Fulton Texas History:
The town was founded in 1866 on Aransas Bay, and named after George Ware Fulton, the builder of Fulton Mansion. The Coleman-Fulton Pasture Company ranched in the area and promoted railroads and a deep water port in order to ship their cattle. By the late 1860s, several meat packing plants were located in the area. The Fulton Port was busy during this time, but closed down after the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway arrived in the area in the mid-1870s, and the he Morgan Lines steamship company quit providing transportation to and from the area.The Rockport-Fulton area is considered to have the largest per capita percentage of artists of any community in the country (over 300). The area is also known for its winter visits by the endangered Whooping Cranes; the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge has an observation deck with telescopes for viewing the birds, and charter tours are available from the Rockport-Fulton area; boat tours are also available. The area offers one of the best, if not the best, birding opportunities in the country. In addition to the famous Whooping Crane tours, this is a great viewing area for hummingbirds; the Hummer/Bird Celebration is held the 2nd weekend of September. It is also an extremely popular fishing area. The towns are located on the gulf coast, north of Corpus Christi and Port Aransas, and just south of the Live Oak Peninsula. Rockport and Fulton are so intermingled that they are considered by many to be one town. The area is also known for its wintering Whooping Cranes. The Rockport-Fulton area offers one of the best, if not the best, birding opportunities in the country. In addition to the famous Whooping Crane tours, this is a great viewing area for hummingbirds; the Hummer/Bird Celebration is held in Rockport the 2nd weekend of September. It is also an extremely popular fishing area. Rockport and Fulton are so intermingled that they are considered by many to be one town.Fulton is located on SH 35 and Aransas Bay, 11 miles north of Aransas Pass, 30 miles northeast of Corpus Christie, and adjacent to the northern city limits of Rockport, Texas.
 
Historic Marion Packing Company Site, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The ruins of this rendering vat mark the location of the Marion Packing Co. (spelled "Meriam" in some records), one of the dozen or more meat packing plants built in the Rockport-Fulton area in the 1860s and 1870s to process the huge herds of range cattle that roamed Texas after the Civil War. Here beef was dried, salted, or pickled before shipping. The by-products such as tallow, hides, horns, and bones were sent to eastern factories. Like most of the coastal plants, Marion Packing Co. flourished until about 1880, when shipping cattle to northern markets proved more profitable.” The Ruins of this 1860s-1870s packing company are located at the corner of Fulton Beach Road and Chaparral Street, Fulton.
 
Aransas County Navigation District No. 1:
The navigation district operates and manages Rockport Harbor, Fulton Harbor, Cove Harbor, and the Copano Bay Causeway Fishing Pier. Each harbor offers boat slips and live-aboard boat slips. Rockport Harbor amenities include a transient restroom and laundry facilities, a public restroom, a pump out station and parking. Fulton Harbor amenities include new fishing piers, a transient restroom and laundry facilities, an oil bilge pump out, a pump out station and parking. Cove Harbor amenities include new restrooms, a fish cleaning station, a reclamation station and two boat ramps. (361) 729-6661. 24 Hour Docking and Emergency Assistance: (361) 385-0524. The Navigation District office is located at 911 Navigation Circle at Rockport Harbor. Fulton Harbor: Email    
 
Fulton Mansion State Historic Site Information: 
The Mansion was built in French second empire style in the late 1870s in the Rockport-Fulton area overlooking Aransas Bay. It had the most modern facilities available at the time, including interior gas lighting, running water, flush-toilets, and central heating. Owners engineer George Fulton and his wife Harriet Fulton, eldest daughter of Texas Provisional Governor Harry Smith (1835), spared no expense in building and furnishing their home. The house was restored in the 1880s. A wheelchair lift provides access to the first floor of the mansion. For visitors unable to climb stairs, a full-color notebook illustrates all of the second-floor rooms. This SHS hosts school programs and special events. Volunteer positions are available. Guided tours begin on the hour. Admission fees apply. Open Tue-Sat, 9:30am-4:30pm; Sun, 12:30pm-4:30pm; closed major holidays. (361) 729-0386. 317 S. Fulton Beach Road, Fulton, Texas 78358.For more information read the Park Brochure. Email
 
Fulton Schoolhouse Museum:
The museum is housed in the original 1940s, one room Fulton School. The museum is furnished as a school room and features local artifacts, including a replica of the Fulton Mansion. Open Sat-Sunday afternoons. (361) 729-5533. 
 
Aransas County Public Library, Rockport:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm; Sat, 10am-2pm; closed Sundays. (361) 790-0153. 701 E. Mimosa Street.