2000 Census - 16,045
Ennis Texas History:
The Houston and Texas Central Railway built a line through the area in 1871. In 1872, a land company purchased 647 acres of land. Captain W. G. Veal selected the townsite and Theo Kosse platted the town that same year. The town was named for early railroad official Col. Cornelius Ennis. The Ennis post office was also established in 1872. Ennis incorporated in 1873. In order to encourage town growth, the railroad offered free town lots to churches. By 1874, the community had 300 residents. In 1890, it had 3,000 residents. In 1894 the Texas Midland Railroad built a line through town. The Texas Central Railway located its northern machine shops and roundhouse in Ennis, employing several hundred men. The railroad stipulated that as long Ennis was able to furnish water the shops would stay in Ennis. In 1891, the City of Ennis built the first of three lakes to ensure there was ample water for the railroad. Between 1910 and 1915, the railroad attempted to move its shops out of Ennis but was blocked by the courts. By 1914, Ennis had several churches, four banks, four cotton gins, a cottonseed oil mill and cotton compress, a mattress factory, an ice factory, a power plant, two newspapers and 6,600 residents. In the 1930s, Ennis was primarily an agricultural community. By the 1970s, it was primarily an industrial community, though cotton and cattle were still important to the economy. Ennis is known for its incredibly beautiful spring bluebonnets. Ennis is located at the intersections of IH-45, SH 34 (W. Lake Bardwell Drive and E. Ennis Avenue), U.S. 287, FM 85 and FM 1181, 39 miles southeast of Mansfield, 38 miles southeast of Cedar Hill and Joe Pool Lake, 37 miles southeast of Dallas, 34 miles southeast of Venus, 25 miles southeast of Lancaster, 27 miles southeast of Midlothian, 14.7 miles southeast of Waxahachie, 38 miles south of Mesquite, 27 miles southwest of Kaufman, 30 miles west of Gun Barrel City and the Cedar Creek Reservoir, 52 miles northwest of Mexia, 21 miles northwest of Corsicana and the Richland Chambers Reservoir, 43 miles northeast of Dawson and Navarro Mills Lake, 39 miles northeast of Hillsboro, and 7 miles northeast of Bardwell, Texas.