Gulf Coast
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 26
Egypt, Texas

Egypt Texas History:
By 1822, John C. Clark was owner of a league of land located in the Egypt area. Thomas Rabb owned the land above Clark’s league, and Robert Kuykendall owned the land below Clark’s league. The area was a favorite hunting grounds of the Karankawa Indians and the three landowners were noted Indian fighters. In 1829, Ed Mercer established a plantation and ferry on the Colorado River at the San Felipe-Texana Crossing. The community of Egypt developed about approximately a mile from the river where the San Felipe-Texana road and the Matagorda-Columbus roads crossed. The settlement was originally known as “Mercer’s Crossing,” but during a severe drought the Egypt area was able to supply corn to the surrounding areas and people began referring to the settlement as Egypt. In 1832, William J.E. Heard purchased 2,222 acres of land from John Clark and established the Egypt Plantation and built his home in what is now the center of Egypt. The 1935 post office was established by the Republic of Texas. Other early settlers included the Northington and Duncan families. By 1839, Andrew Northington operated a stagecoach line. The first general store was built in 1840. George H. Northington and Green C. Duncan’s 1881 mercantile store became the social center of the surrounding area. Egypt Plantation is still owned by Northington descendants who raise cattle and operate the various Egypt Plantation businesses on the property. Today Egypt is not a normal functioning town; it is a business, and a very popular one. Egypt is located at the intersection of FM 102 and FM 1161 West, 11 miles north of Glen Flora, and 20 miles northwest of Wharton, Texas.
Historic William J.E. Heard & Egypt Plantation, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“William Jones Elliot Heard was born in Tennessee in 1801, the first of Stephen R. and Jemima M. Heard's nine children. Sometime in the 1820s Heard moved to Alabama where he married America Morton. Heard received a land certificate from Stephen F. Austin in 1830 and in 1832 settled here on 2,222 acres he acquired from John C. Clark, one of Austin's "Old 300" settlers. The area's rich soil prompted early settlers to name their town for the biblical Egypt and later to refer to Heard's property as "Egypt Plantation." On April 21, 1836, about a month after Egypt Plantation had narrowly escaped destruction at the hands of the advancing Mexican army, Heard commanded Company F in San Houston's army at the Battle of San Jacinto. After the war, Heard built a cotton gin at Egypt Plantation and raised cattle, cotton, corn, and sugar cane. He registered his first cattle brand in 1837. In 1840 he joined Colonel John H. Moore in a campaign against the Indians in the upper Colorado River area. In 1846 Heard was elected chief justice of Wharton County. He died in 1874 and was buried in the Masonic cemetery at Chappell Hill in Washington County. A red brick residence built here by Heard in 1849-54 had by the early 1990s housed six generations of his family.”
Historic Camp Zion Missionary Baptist Church, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Rev. Hillary Hooks, a former slave on the James E. Winston Plantation founded the church. In 1887, Winston granted land to the church. The Camp Zion Community Cemetery was founded in 1905 on land donated to the church by the Duncan family.” The marker is located 4 miles east of Egypt on FM 1161.
Heard-Northington Home, 1849:
This 1 ½ story, dormered Georgian Revival red brick home was built from local sun-dried clay; in 1900 the home was enlarged by adding a two story, Classical Revival addition, and tennis courts, a swimming pool, stables, formal gardens, and a magnolia lined driveway were added. The building now houses a museum.
G.H. Northington General Store & Meat Market:
The store features its original fixtures, and advertising signs, catalogs, sundries, jewelry and other merchandise left over from the 100 year store stock.
Egypt Plantation Enterprise, a Northington Family Enterprise:
Egypt is a former 19th century Republic of Texas Farm and Ranching Community. The 1932 Egypt Plantation is now a business enterprise. The Northington family members contributed to the enterprise by developing their own businesses which are listed below. (979) 677-3232. 11914 FM 102, Egypt, Texas 77436. Mail: P.O. Box 219.  Email
Tours, Plantation Tours:
The tour includes the 1849 Heard-Northington Home Museum, The Railroad Depot Museum, and the Plantation grounds, including the slave cabin, cook’s house, and barns. Tours are offered daily at 10am and 2pm; each tour last 1.5 hours; a small fee applies. Guided Tours: (979) 677-3562, or /3232. Group tours are available. Email
1900 Egypt Depot & Northington Home Museum:
The restored 1849 Georgian Revival home features family antiques and exhibits. The Depot features exhibits on local ranching history, archeological digs of Native Americans and Mexican Army Camps, and general store exhibits. Research materials include written local and regional histories (some unpublished or out of print), old photographs, catalogues, original maps, surveys, deeds, and letters of early Texas leaders. Open by appointment from 10am-4pm; closed major holidays. (979) 677-3562. Email
Pecan Warehouse, 1900:
Currently used as an automotive/farm machinery restoration and repair shop, and as a museum for horse buggies, horseless carriages and farm implements.
Northington Saloon, 1900:
Amenities in the 1870s Western style saloon include a pool table, game tables and a stage. The building houses the antique car, truck, and carriage & farm machinery show room. The saloon is open on weekends. It sometimes hosts karaoke and/or serves BBQ. The saloon hosts occasional Country Western concerts.This building and the general store are available for private events.(979) 966-2111.
(979) 247-4457. Email
Egypt Plantation Antique Barn & Trade Days:
The air conditioned Antique Mall was established by the Northington family in 1997. Trade Day events were established in 1998. Booths are available for outside vendors. The facilities may be rented for Car Club Rallies, Swap Meets and other events. The Antique Barn is open Wed-Sat, 9am-5pm. Sundays, 1pm-5pm; closed major holidays. Trade days are generally held in March, September and November. (979) 677-3232.
Bud’s Egypt Café:
This old time soda fountain Cafe will serve grilled and fresh meals, and will be open during the Antique Mall hours and for special events.