2000 Census - 322
Edom Texas History:
In 1849, the community of Hamburg was established several miles from the current Edom townsite. The Hamburg post office opened in 1852. In 1855, the post office was moved one mile south of the present townsite, and was renamed Edom. Sometime later the town was moved to its present location. The Edom schools opened in 1866 with children of former Indian captive Cynthia Parker in attendance. Edom never got rail service but it still continued to grow. Edom incorporated in 1966 with 600 residents. The Edom post office was discontinued in 1976. Edom is located west of SH 64 at the intersection of FM 279 and FM 314, 21.6 miles southeast of Canton, 36 miles southeast of Wills Point and Lake Texarkana, 34 miles southeast of Edgewood, 24 miles southeast of Grand Saline, 12 miles southeast of Van, 10 miles southeast of Ben Wheeler, 36 miles south of Alba and Lake Fork, 36 miles southwest of Mineola, 40 miles southwest of Hawkins, 24 miles southwest of Lindale and Tyler State Park, 32 miles northwest of Whitehouse and Lake Tyler, 20 miles northwest of Tyler, 13 miles northwest of Chandler and Lake Palestine, 33 miles northwest of Frankston, 22 miles northeast of Lake Athens and Athens, Texas.
Edom Arts and Crafts:
The town is a popular destination for its arts and crafts. Artisans in pottery, silver jewelry, glassware, macramé, and leather crafts who settled in the town in the 1960s began Edom's annual arts and crafts fair in 1972. Several artists and craftsmen live in town.
Edom Historical Museum:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Edom including C.W. Morris memorabilia, photos, Civil War era letters and a roster of Van Zandt County veterans. The museum is located in the renovated historic Edom Courthouse on FM 279. The building is a Texas Historical Landmark.
Edom Civic Theater:
This community theater group performs at the Edom Community Center stage. The community center is located on PR 8279, east of FM 314. Event Calendar
Edom Park & Community & Senior Center:
This reservable center is located in a renovated school building and is the center of group activities in Edom. Senior Citizens meet each Wednesday at 9am for activities and lunch. The center is also the meeting place for local clubs, the Edom Chamber of Commerce, and the Historical Society. The Edom Civic Theater performs on the Center’s stage. Park amenities include a baseball field, soccer goals, a basketball court, a playground, restrooms, and a picnic tables. The annual Edom July 4th Celebration and the Edom Community Thanksgiving Dinner are held here. The center is available for event rentals. (903) 852-6397. The community center is located on PR 8279, east of FM 314.