Hunt, Rains, Van Zandt
Praries & Lakes
Lake Tawakoni
Lake Tawakoni Information:
The 36,700 surface acre Lake Tawakoni was formed by constructing the Iron Bridge Dam on the Sabine River, approximately 10 miles northeast of Wills Point, Texas. The lake was impounded in 1960 and has an average depth of 70 feet, and 200 miles of shoreline. It lies immediately above the old Iron Bridge Crossing on FM 47, and is in parts of Hunt, Rains and Van Zandt Counties. Three branches of water join to form the Sabine River proper; a fourth branch (Lake Fork Creek) joins the other three branches at Lake Tawakoni. Lake Tawakoni is named after the Tawakoni Indians that lived in the area. Lake Tawakoni is used for water conservation and supply, and recreational purposes. Dallas, Texas has contracted for 80% use of the lake waters. The remaining 20% is used by area municipalities. Lake amenities and facilities include Sabine River Authority public areas, and commercial establishments. The lake is owned and operated by the Sabine River Authority of Texas. Lake towns or nearby towns include Point, Wills Point, Lone Oak, East Tawakoni, West Tawakoni, Quinlan, and Emory, Texas. The lake is west of Lake Fork, with the City of Emory the midpoint between the two lakes. Lake Tawakoni is located 35 miles east of Dallas, 10 miles northwest of Wills Point, 15 miles southeast of Greenville, and approximately 8 miles west of Emory, Texas.  
Lake Tawakoni Location Map 
Current Lake Tawakoni Lake Level 
Lake Tawakoni Facilities Map
Lake Tawakoni TPWD Public Access Facilities Map 
Sabine River:
The 555 mile long Sabine River rises in three branches, the Cowleech Fork, the Caddo Fork, and the South Fork. A fourth branch known as the Lake Fork of the Sabine or Lake Fork Creek, joins the main stream forty miles downstream from the junction of the other three branches. The Cowleech Branch rises in northeast Hunt County and flows southeast for 35 miles to its confluence with the Caddo and South Forks to form the Sabine River Proper. The Caddo Fork rises in two forks, the East and West Caddo Forks; these forks unite in the southern part of Hunt County. The South Fork rises in the southwestern part of Hunt County and flows east for 18 miles to join the Caddo and Cowleech Forks. From this point the Sabine River flows southeast, forming the boundaries between Rains and Van Zandt, Van Zandt and Wood, Wood and Smith, and Smith and Upshur Counties. After crossing most of Gregg County, the river forms portions of the county lines between Gregg and Harrison, Harrison and Rusk, and Harrison and Panola counties before it bends more sharply across Panola County. At the thirty-second parallel in the southeastern corner of Panola County the Sabine becomes the state boundary between Texas and Louisiana, and thus the eastern boundary of Shelby, Sabine, Newton, Orange, and Jefferson Counties. The Toledo Bend Reservoir is located on the river between the boundaries of Louisiana and Texas. The Sabine River empties into Sabine Lake which is formed by the confluence of the Neches and the Sabine Rivers; the lake is drained by Sabine Pass into the Gulf of Mexico. Management of the river and watershed is overseen by the Sabine River Authority of Texas.  Sabine River Fish Stocking History