Contact
 
 
County
Denton
Region
Praries & Lakes
Nearby
Lakes
Lewisville Lake
null
Lewisville Lake Information:
The City of Dallas constructed the original lake (Lake Dallas) by building the Garza Dam on the Elm Fork of the Trinity River. It was completed in 1927. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers began the construction of a larger and far more encompassing dam in 1948. The cities of Denton and Dallas contributed funds for this construction and own most of the water. The construction was completed in 1955. The Lake Dallas Dam was later breached, and the two lakes combined. The new combined lake is called Lewisville Lake. The lake covers 436,000 surface acres, has 183 miles of shoreline, and has a maximum depth of 67 feet. It is used as a water source for Dallas and Denton, and provides recreational activities. Lewisville Lake is part of the Trinity River Project which includes Lakes Bardwell, Benbrook, Grapevine, Joe Pool, Lavon, Lewisville and Ray Roberts. Boating caution is advised as the lake contains submerged and exposed tree trunks and other hazards. Current Lake Level  Lake Facilities Map 
 
Trinity River:
The Trinity River rises in three principal branches, the East Fork, the Elm Fork, and the West Fork; a shorter and smaller fourth stream is named the Clear Fork. The East Fork of the Trinity River rises in central Grayson County and flows south seventy-eight miles, through Collin, Rockwall, Dallas, and Kaufman Counties, to the southwestern part of Kaufman County, where it joins the West Fork. The Elm Fork of the Trinity rises in eastern Montague County and flows southeast eighty-five miles, through Cooke and Denton Counties, to its confluence with the West Fork at the beginning of the Trinity River proper just north of Hampton Road, a mile west of downtown Dallas. The Clear Fork of the Trinity rises in northwestern Parker County and flows forty-five miles to join the West Fork of the Trinity at Fort Worth in central Tarrant County. From the junction of the East and West Forks the Trinity River Proper continues southeast, forming the boundaries between several Texas counties. It then cuts across northern Walker County to form a portion of the county line between Walker and Trinity counties and the county line between Trinity and San Jacinto, and San Jacinto and Polk Counties. At the northern county line of Liberty County the Trinity turns almost directly south, cutting across Liberty and Chambers Counties, to its mouth on Trinity Bay just west of Anahuac. The Trinity flows 423 miles from the confluence of the Elm and West Forks to the coast, making it the longest river having its entire course in Texas. In addition to several dams on the river’s tributaries, the Trinity is dammed just above Camilla in San Jacinto County to form Livingston Reservoir. Other river lakes include Grapevine Lake, Lavon Lake, Ray Roberts Lake, Lake Arlington, Lake Worth, Eagle Mountain Lake and Lewisville Lake. Cities located on the Trinity River include Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Garland, Irving, Richardson, Plano, Grand Prairie, Baytown, Mesquite, Camilla and Anahuac. Clear Fork Fish Stocking History  Trinity River Fish Stocking History 
 
Hickory Creek:
The creek rises in northwestern Denton County and flows southeast for 14 miles to its mouth on Lake Lewisville. The North and South forks unite to form the main street, flowing around the Denton Municipal Airport boundaries before entering Lake Lewisville. The Dry Fork runs through the airport. Alton and Hickory Creek, Texas are located on the creek.
 
Bridges:
Three bridges cross the lake. The IH-35E/U.S. 77 East Bridge crosses on the western edge of the lake near Lewisville, Highland Village, Lake Dallas, and Hickory Creek. The FM 720 (W. Eldorado Parkway) Bridge crosses Lake Lewisville on the east edge of the lake through the town of Little Elm. The 1.7 mile Lewisville Lake Toll Bridge crosses Lewisville Lake in an east-west direction at mid-lake along the route of the original dam; the bridge connects IH-35E at Swisher Road to the Dallas North Tollway at Eldorado Parkway near the City Little Elm. Lake Lewisville Roads & Parks Map
 
Old Alton Bridge, 1884:
This iron bridge was built by the King Iron Bridge Manufacturing Company to carry traffic from the old postal road and Ranger patrol trail over Hickory Creek, a popular cattle crossing area. In the 1870s, this area was part of the old Chisholm Trail, and was the site of a shootout between the Sam Bass Gang and a Texas Ranger patrol. Anton was the original county seat of Denton County; the town dissolved years before the bridge was built. The bridge was in constant use until it was replaced in 2001 with a new bridge. The bridge was refurbished and relocated to the junction of the Elm Fork and Pilot Knoll hiking and equestrian trails. The bridge is a popular fishing spot for sand bass fishing, and has been the subject of ghost stories. The Alton Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located south of Denton near Copper Canyon, Texas.From IH-35 East, take the Swisher Road exit and go west. Turn left onto Old Alton Road on the left. The bridge will be approximately 100 yards down the road on the left. Elm Fork and Pilot Knoll Equestrian and Hiking Trail Map