Contact
 
 
Counties
Burnet, Llano
Region
Hill Country
Nearby
Lakes
Lake Buchanan
null
Lake Buchanan Information:
The 22,211 surface acre Lake Buchanan is the largest of the 7 Highland Lakes located on the Colorado River between Llano and Austin, Texas. When the 2 mile long Buchanan Dam was completed in 1937, it was the longest multiple-arch dam in the United States. Lake Buchanan covers 36 square miles, has 124 miles of shoreline, has a maximum width of just less than 5 miles, and a maximum depth of 132 feet. The western shore has sandy swimming beaches. The eastern shore is rugged and hilly with granite cliffs, cactus and deep waters. The lake is generally not crowded. Lake amenities include three LCRA parks, cabins, rental houses, the Canyon of the Eagles Resort and other resorts, and RV parks and restaurants. Colorado Bend State Park, famous for its Gorman Falls, is located west of Lampasas on the Colorado River above Lake Buchanan. When lake levels are normal, boaters are able to access the lake via a 10 mile boat trip from the state park. Lake activities include fishing, boating, water skiing, sailing, scuba diving, camping, lake cruises, and bird watching. Bald eagle viewing cruises are available. The Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) manages the lower Colorado River, Lake Buchanan and the other six Highland Lakes. Lake Buchanan is in Burnet and Llano Counties, west of the town of Burnet, Texas. The town of Buchanan Dam is located at the dam. 
Lake Buchanan Location Map 
Current Lake Buchanan Lake Level   
Current Highland Lakes’ Levels 
TPWD Lake Buchanan Public Access Facilities Map 
Highland Lakes Boat Ramps & Openings and Closings
 
Former Town of Bluffton, Texas:
Billy Davis settled on the west bank of the Colorado River in 1852. The town was named by his relative, I.B. Maxwell who arrived the next year. Bluffton was important because of nearby river crossings and was near saltworks operated by Davie Cowan. The Bluffton post office was established in 1873. After the town was destroyed by fire, it was rebuilt a half mile north. The town began to decline when the railroad built a line though Llano, bypassing Bluffton. When Lake Buchanan dam was constructed, it was originally called Bluffton Dam. During the construction of Lake Buchanan, Bluffton (New Bluffton) moved 5 miles west near the western shore of Lake Buchanan and the intersection of CR 261 and FM 2241, 12 miles northeast of Llano. The original Bluffton was inundated by floodwaters when Lake Buchanan was impounded in 1937. Portions of SH 29 between Burnet and Llano were also covered by lake waters. In July 2009, the waters of Lake Buchanan were low enough that traces of the town were uncovered and portions of old SH 29 were also exposed. There was also quick sand. For those that wanted to view what little was exposed, Vanishing Texas River Cruise offered a cruise and a 25 minute hike to the site. If you are interested in viewing the site should it reappear, call them at (800) 474-8374. (512) 756-6986.
 
Colorado River:
The Colorado River is the largest of the rivers that exist wholly in Texas. The river rises in intermittent draws in northeastern Dawson County and flows generally southeastward for 600 miles before it bends to the east across southern Burnet County and continues its southeastern course across Travis, Bastrop, Payette, Colorado, Wharton, and Matagorda Counties to its mouth on Matagorda Bay near Palacios, Texas. Major towns on its route include Austin, Lamesa, Colorado City, Robert Lee, Ballinger, Paint Rock, Marble Falls, Bastrop, Smithville, La Grange, Columbus, Wharton, Bay City and Matagorda. Important reservoirs (lakes) on the Colorado include Lake J.B. Thomas, E.V. Spence Reservoir, Buchanan Lake, Inks Lake, Lake LBJ, Lake Marble Falls, Lake Travis, Lake Austin, and Lady Bird Lake (Town Lake) in Austin; the latter 7 lakes are known as the Highland Lakes. Early in the 19th century the river’s slow current caused the formation of a raft, or a log jam, which gradually grew upstream so that the river was navigable in 1839 for only ten miles above its mouth. By 1858 the situation in Matagorda and Wharton counties had become so bad that the state appropriated funds for the construction of a new channel around the raft; the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers opened the channel in the mid-1800s, but it was not maintained so the raft filled it up. After the Civil War the Colorado ceased to be a factor in transportation. The delta that developed after removal of the log jam in 1925, reached across Matagorda Bay as far as Matagorda Peninsula by 1936. In 1936 a channel was dredged through the new delta from the Gulf of Mexico to the town of Matagorda, thus forcing the river to deposit its flotsam and sediment directly into the Gulf. With the removal of the raft, the seaport town of Matagorda gradually became landlocked. The present Caney Creek channel was the original channel of the Colorado River until approximately a thousand years ago. The Lower, Central, and Upper Colorado River Authorities are the three agencies that oversee the conservation of and use of the Colorado River.  Fish Stocking History
 
Colorado River & Lake Buchanan Waterfalls:
Several waterfalls and numerous caves are in the Colorado River canyon between Lake Buchanan and Colorado Bend State Park. The 30 foot Fall Creek Water Falls are located on the northwest side of the lake near Fall Creek Vineyards (town of Tow) at the confluence of Fall Creek and Lake Buchanan, 4 paddling miles upriver from Canyon of the Eagles Resort. The Deer Creek Falls are located 3 miles upriver from the Fall Creek Falls. The beautiful Post Oak Falls are located 2 miles south of Colorado Bend State Park. 
 
Historic Inks Lake SH 29 Bridge:
This beautiful old bridge on Old SH 29 over Inks Lake (Colorado River) is now a pedestrian bridge offering beautiful views of Inks Lake and the Lake Buchanan dam. Fishing and diving from the bridge are prohibited. The bridge offers stunning views of Inks Lake and the Buchanan Lake Dam. It was built in the 1930s by the Austin Bridge Company and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The new utilitarian looking vehicular bridge is located adjacent to it. The town of Buchanan Dam is located on the west end of the bridge.