2000 Census - 7,846
City of Fort Stockton:
Comanche Springs at one time was the third largest source of spring water in Texas. The springs were a favorite stop on the Comanche Trail to Chihuahua, the Old San Antonio Road, the Butterfield Overland Mail route, and the San Antonio-Chihuahua freight-wagon road. The Fort Stockton military fort was established near the springs in 1859. In 1868, Peter Gallagher purchased land that included the fort and Comanche Springs, and platted the Saint Gail townsite. Within two years the town had 200 residents. In 1881, the town was renamed Fort Stockton. In 1875, it became the county seat of the newly established Pecos County. Fort Stockton began to decline after it was bypassed by two railroads, and after the military abandoned it in 1886, though it was a center for sheep and cattle ranching. It began to boom when the nearby Yates oilfield opened in 1926. Today the town is still a major agricultural, ranching and oil industry area. For travelers traveling from south Texas, Fort Stockton is considered the gateway to the Big Bend National Park. Fort Stockton is located at the intersections of U.S. 67/IH-10/U.S, SH 18, U.S. 285 and U.S. 385, 53.5 miles southeast of Balmorhea, 53 miles southeast of Pecos, 50 miles south of Monahans, 86.5 miles southwest of Odessa, 47 miles southwest of McCamey, 63 miles west of Iraan, 72.6 miles slightly northwest of Sheffield, 313 miles northwest of San Antonio, 65 miles northwest of Sanderson, 151 miles northeast of Big Bend National Park, 58.6 miles northeast of Marathon, 67 miles northeast of Alpine, and 90 miles northeast of Fort Davis, Texas
City of Fort Stockton Visitor's Center:
The center is located in the 1911 Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railroad Depot. The grounds feature terraced gardens, interpretive sculptures, a water feature, lighting, and signage. Watch for the Monarch Butterfly migration. The CVB operates the Historic Fort, the Grey Mule Saloon, and the Fort Stockton Visitor Center and grounds.
Pecos County Courthouse, 1883:
The stone courthouse was built in 1883; the architect is unknown. Architect L.B. Westerman designed the 1911-1912 remodeling project which resulted in the courthouse being partially demolished and rebuilt. A gazebo and the town’s first school are located on the courthouse square. Also located on the square is the “Zero Stone” which was the base point from which all West Texas land surveys originated. The original Pecos County Jail is still intact. It is built of the same stone as the courthouse. The 2010 Pecos County census was 15,507. (432) 336-2792. 103 West Callaghan Street.
Pecos County Jail, 1883:
The jail was constructed of the same stone as the courthouse. It still retains its original window bars. 103 West Callaghan Street.