2000 Census - 27,508
Farmers Branch Texas History:
In 1842, Thomas Keenan, Isaac B. Webb, and William Cochran received land grants that included the current townsite. By 1843, the community of Mustang Branch had developed, and was named after the Mustang grapes that grew along a creek. Cochran later renamed the town Farmers Branch after the area’s rich farmland. In 1845, the Peters Colony established their first office of their Texan Land and Emigration Company in the town. The Colony advertised the townsite throughout Europe and the United States, making it the most well-known Dallas County town in the 1840s. The Farmers Branch post office was established in 1848. It closed in 1866, and reopened in 1875. The Dallas and Wichita Railway (later MKT) built a line connecting Dallas and Lewisville via Farmers Branch. Farmersville became a shipping and commercial center for area farmers. Farmersville incorporated in 1956. Farmerville’s proximity to Dallas has contributed to its growth; many residents commute to Dallas for work. Farmersville is bordered by the cities of Carrollton, Addison, University Park, Las Colinas and Coppell. Farmers Branch is located on U.S. 77/IH-35 East (Stemmons Freeway), 45.5 miles northeast of Azle and Eagle Mountain Lake, 35 miles northeast of Fort Worth and Lake Worth, 30 miles northeast of Lake Arlington, 25 miles northeast of Arlington, 30 miles northeast of Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill State Park, 17.6 miles northeast of Grand Prairie and Mountain Creek and Joe Pool Lakes, 10.4 miles northeast of Irving, 38 miles southeast of Sanger and Ray Roberts Lake, 26 miles southeast of Denton, 11 miles southeast of Lewisville and Lewisville Lake, 9 miles southeast of Coppell, 22 miles south of Frisco, 15 miles south of The Colony, 3.6 miles south of Carrollton, 30 miles southwest of McKinney, 29 miles southwest of Wylie and Lake Lavon, 23.5 miles southwest of Allen, 17.6 miles southwest of Plano, 12 miles southwest of Richardson, 24 miles west of Rowlett and Ray Hubbard Lake, 44 miles northwest of Terrell, 25 miles northwest of Mesquite, 16 miles northwest of Dallas, 13 miles northwest of University Park, and 41 miles north of Waxahachie, Texas.
Historic Gilbert Homestead (The Old Rock House):
National Register of Historic Places partial text: “The Gilbert Homestead is a rare survival, a mid-19th Century farmhouse in the Dallas suburb of Farmers Branch. Surrounded by mid-20th Century suburban residences and a city park, the Gilbert Homestead is an Early Texas stone building demonstrating modest Greek revival influence. A rear wing added in 1939 is considered compatible, and the house has recently undergone a sympathetic rehabilitation. No surviving historic outbuildings remain, although artifacts dating from the 1850's through the 1930's are scattered over the property.” The house is located at the Farmers Branch Historical Park at 2540 Farmers Branch Lane.
Historic Onion Shed, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“This historic Onion Shed, restored in 2002, was one of several onion sheds in Farmersville, built by the railroads for the packing and shipping of the "Collin County Sweets." In 1925, local farmers began planting onion crops, and by 1935 Farmersville was known as the “Onion Capitol of North Texas.” Migrant workers came each January to plant the onion slips. In late May or June, the crews returned to harvest the onions. Many of Farmersville’s young men worked on the sheds, grading and sacking the onions to make them ready to ship by rail to places all across the country. The smell of onions permeated the town. The “Collin County Sweets” were mild onions, popular for their sweet flavor. For several years, during the height of the season, an onion festival was held, complete with a parade, marching bands, and an onion queen, Queen Noino, (onion spelled backwards). The industry declined as south and west Texas developed onion varieties which were not as perishable, making them easier to ship.” The shed is located at 151 South Main Street. The Onion Shed is used for community events.
Farmers Branch Historical Park & Vintage Baseball Teams, 27 Acres:
The park features buildings from the early 1800s to the mid-1930s, including the 1856 Gilbert house, the 1870s Farmers Branch Depot, the 1900s Farmers Branch school, the 1930s Dodson house, the 1885 Queen Anne Victorian cottage, a 1890s church, a replica of a Texaco Station, and log cabins from the 1840s. A vintage caboose is located onsite. The park is also home to the Mustangs vintage base ball team. The baseball team plays according to 19th base ball century rules. The historical park is available for private and public events. A museum store is located onsite. Memorial bricks may be purchased in honor of a loved one. The Historical Park offers special events such as star parties, Vintage Baseball games, and campfire sagas. Memorial Paver Bricks may be purchased by individuals and groups. Park admission is free. Open Mon.-Fri. 8am- 6pm, Sat–Sun, noon-6pm. The park is closed Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day. Tours are available. (972) 406-0184. 2540 Farmers Branch Lane. Email
The Rich-Tone Chorus:
This award winning women’s chorus performs at the Eisemann Center and at other area locations. Guests are welcome at the rehearsals held on Tuesdays at 7pm at the Rich-Tone Hall in Farmers Branch. Click on the above link for the event schedule. (214) 234-6065. They are located at 2740 Valwood Parkway, Suite 124, Farmers Branch, 75234. Contacts
Manske Public Library & Reservable Meeting Rooms:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, audio and E-books, movies, online homework assistance, live job coaching and resume assistance, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 10am-9pm; Fri-Sat, 10am-6pm; Sun, 1pm-5pm. (972) 247-2511. 13613 Webb Chapel Road, 75234.
Farmers Branch Senior Center:
Amenities at this 22,400 square foot center include a large multi-purpose room with a hardwood dance floor, a computer lab with Internet access and a workout facility. The center offers over 80 programs for those ages 50 and older including day trips, fitness classes and computer classes. It also offers free Hoopla Digital, a Netflix type service permitting members to download movies, e-books, music and other entertainment to their personal devices. Up to five may be downloaded each month either in the library or online. Open Mon-Wed, 8am-8:45pm; Thu-Fri, 8am-5pm. It is open the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Saturdays of each month, 1pm-5pm; 2nd and 4th Saturdays, 1pm-9:30pm. The center is closed major holidays. (972) 919-8740. 14055 Dennis Lane. Email