Contact
 
 
County
Comanche
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 2,246
2000 Census - 2,433
Nearby
Towns
De Leon, Texas
null
De Leon Texas History:
On July 7, 1881 officials of the Texas Central Railroad sold town lots from the bed of a flatcar. In August the townsite consisted of 33 blocks covered with trees and brush. The De Leon post office was established that same year. Early settlers grew cotton and raised cattle. After the boll weevil devastated the cotton crops in 1906, farmers switched to raising peanuts. One carload of peanuts was produced in 1907. By 1914, a peanut mill had been built, and 500 carloads brought sixty cents a bushel. By 1915, De Leon two churches, two banks, four cotton gins, numerous small businesses, and 1,015 residents. By the 1950s the major crops were peanuts, pecans, peaches and melons. The annual peach and melon festival is held the first week in August. De Leon is located 3 miles south of the Leon River and Proctor Lake at the intersections of SH 16, SH 6, FM 2921 and FM 587, 38 miles east of Cross Plains, 26 miles east of Rising Star, 58 miles southeast of Breckenridge, 38.8 miles southeast of Cisco, 31 miles southeast of Eastland, 38 miles southeast of Strawn, 38 miles southeast of Ranger, 68 miles southwest of Mineral Wells, 55 miles southwest of Granbury, 55 miles southwest of Glen Rose, 25 miles southwest of Stephenville, 49 mikles northwest of Hamilton, 33 miles northwest of Hico, 12.4 miles northwest of Dublin, 50 miles north of Goldthwaite, 43 miles northeast of Brownwood, and 16 miles northeast of Comanche, Texas.
 
Terrill Antique Car Museum:
The museum displays eleven rare vehicles, including a 1941 Packard DeLuxe Convertible Coupe, a 1925 Ford Motel T Touring car, a 1909 Brush Runabout, a one cylinder car with wooden axles, 1909 Buick Model 10 Toy Tonneau, 1915 REO ¾ Ton Speedwagon, a 1916 Maxwell Model 25 Town Car, a 1917 Crow-Elkhart Leaf Roadster, a 1927 Star Roadster Model M. a 1929 Ford Model A Roaster, 1931 Studebaker Regal Touring, and a 1901 Coffin Steam Carriage. The coffin is a two cylinder steam driven engine with a pilot light, boiler, water and steam pressure gauges, and a drive chain. This is the only car Feltz Terrill made; it cost him $400. Feltz's son Feltz Jr., manages the museum, and operates the Terrill Machine shop which supplies parts for antique cars. Open Tue-Sat, 10am-noon, and 1pm-5pm. Open Sundays, 1-4pm; admission is free. (254) 893-3773. 500 N. Texas Street.
 
De Leon City County Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm; closed Saturdays and Sundays. (254) 893-2417. 125 East Reynosa Avenue.