Contact
 
 
County
Nacogdoches
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 647
Nearby
Towns
Cushing, Texas
null
Cushing Texas History:
In 1902, the Texas and New Orleans Railroad announced it would build a line through the area. A community developed at the future railroad site and was named in honor of Edward Benjamin Cushing, a railroad official. The Cushing post office opened in 1902. The town was platted in 1903. The railroad spurred the development of the lumbering industry in the northwestern corner of Nacogdoches County. Cushing soon became a shipping center for the area’s numerous sawmills. The Great Depression and the deforestation of the area caused the town to decline in the 1930s. Cushing is located at the intersection of SH 204 and FM 225, 42.7 miles northwest of Lufkin, 21.6 miles northwest of Nacogdoches, 22.7 miles northeast of Alto, 53 miles southeast of Tyler, 52 miles east of Palestine, 21.3 miles east of Rusk, 30.6 miles southeast of Jacksonville, 33.4 miles southeast of Henderson, 42 miles southwest of Carthage, 32.5 miles southwest of Timpson, 30 miles west of Garrison, and 49 miles northwest of Center, Texas.
 
Monte Verdi Plantation:
This was one of the largest and most successful of the East Texas cotton plantations. The house was built in 1855 by Julien Devereux, a Texas legislator. During its heyday, the plantation consisted of 10,721 acres and had 80 slaves. The home has been restored by the current owners, the Koch family; it is available for tours and special events. The property has been awarded a Texas Historical Marker. Call for Tours: (903) 863-2633. 11992 CR 4233, Cushing. Email  
 
Caddoan Mounds State Historic Site Information: 
This 93.8 acre park was the most western ceremonial site of the Mound Builders of Caddoan who lived here from approximately 800 A.D. to 1300 A.D. They supported themselves by fishing in the nearby Neches River, and by hunting and farming. Remaining remnants of their culture include two temple mounds (a low temple mound, and a high temple Ceremonial mound), a burial mound, and a large portion of the Mound Builders' village. The mounds are located on the historic El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail. A 0.7 mile self-guided interpretive loop trail meanders through the site; a short branch trail leads to the borrow pit. A 1.5 hour guided tour is available. Group tours are available by appointment. Facilities include a picnic area, and the visitor center and gift shop featuring an interpretive center and restrooms. The Caddoan Mounds Site is wheelchair accessible. Texas Historical Markers are located at the High Temple Ceremonial Mound on SH 21, and on CR 2907 (Weeping Mary Road) at the Zebulon Pike Campsite. This SHS hosts special programs and events, and group tours by appointment. For more information read the Park Brochure, view the Facilities Map, and go to the Caddoan Mounds SHS Home Page. Caddoan Mounds is located 6 miles southwest of Alto, Texas, on SH 21.
 
Sacul Opry House Music, 4th Saturday of each Month, Sacul:
These events are sponsored by the Sacul Bluegrass Opry which is owned by Novis White and Kenneth Garner. The opry is housed in a historic 102 year old building, about the only building in town. Four to six Bluegrass, Gospel, or Country Music bands perform each month. Shows start at 6:30pm, and are free to the public. Donations are requested for the building upkeep. The show has been featured in various publications including Texas Highways and Reader's Digest. The Opry House is open Fridays from noon to 5pm for those who want to drop by and do some pickin'. Cowboy and Sara Barrett help run the Sacul Opry each month, and also host two annual Bluegrass Reunions at their Sandyland Farm. (936) 569-1179. Sacul is located 26 miles northeast of Alton, 16.5 miles northeast of Rusk, 5 miles west of Cushing, and 26 miles northwest of Nacogdoches, Texas. Sacul Texas Map; Click to Enlarge   Sacul Texas Area Map
 
7th Street Restaurant:
This local favorite offers chicken fried steak, creamy potatoes, unpeeled mashed potatoes, homemade pies, and other comfort foods. The restaurant was featured in the December 2008 issue of Texas Monthly as one of the best small town cafes in Texas. Open Mon-Thu, 10:30am-9pm; Fri-Sat, 10:30am-10pm; Sun, 10:30am-3:30pm. (936) 326-8457. 754 7th Street. Reviews