B.A. Steinhagen Reservoir
B.A. Steinhagen Reservoir Information:
This 10,687 surface acre lake is located in the Texas Pineywoods Region of East Texas. The lake was formerly known as Dam B. It was created by impounding the Neches River at a point located midway between Jasper and Woodville, Texas. The Town Bluff Dam was completed in 1989. The upper reaches of Steinhagen Lake are approximately 20 miles down the Angelina River from the Sam Rayburn Dam. The Angelina River empties into the Neches River 12 miles north of Jasper, Texas. There are no marinas or equestrian trails on the lake. Designated biking and hiking trails are located at Martin Dies Jr. State Park. The lake is managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The lake headquarters is located at Bluff View Park. From Jasper drive 15 miles west on U.S. 90, then 5 miles south on FM 92.
B.A. Steinhagen Reservoir Location & Facilities Map
TPWD B.A. Steinhagen Reservoir Public Access Facilities Map
Current B.A. Steinhagen Reservoir Lake Level
B.A. Steinhagen Reservoir Parks & Boat Ramp Open/Closure Status
The Neches River rises just east of Colfax in eastern Van Zandt County; it flows southeast for 416 miles to its mouth in Sabine Lake on the northern edge of Port Arthur, Texas. Except for a few miles near its head, the Neches serves as a boundary system for its entire length, forming the county lines between a several Texas counties. Reservoirs on the river include Lake Palestine, Lake B.A. Steinhagen near Town Bluff, and the small Rhine Lake located north of Palestine. Major tributaries include the Angelina River, which drains one-third of the basin area, Bayou La Nana, Ayish Bayou, Pine Island Bayou, Village Creek, Kickapoo Creek, and Flat Creek. Towns located along the river include Tyler, Beaumont, Lufkin, Nacogdoches, Groves, Port Neches and Nederland. Fish Stocking History
The Angelina River is located in the East Texas Pineywoods Region. The lake is formed by the junction of Barnhardt and Shawnee creeks three miles northwest of Laneville in southwest central Rusk County. The river flows southeast for 110 miles, forming the boundaries between Cherokee and Nacogdoches, Angelina and Nacogdoches, and Angelina and San Augustine counties. It empties into the Neches River twelve miles north of Jasper in northwestern Jasper County. Lake Steinhagen is located on the Neches River. The Sam Rayburn Reservoir (formerly McGee Bend Reservoir) is located on the south end of the Angelina River. The stream was named for a Hasinai Indian girl whom Spanish missionaries called Angelina. The river was navigable from Ayish Bayou nearly to Nacogdoches in the 1840s and furnished a significant means of transportation to settlers. The earliest attempts at commercial navigation of the Angelina began in 1844 when Moses and Robert Patton, using a barge-like craft known as the Thomas J. Rusk, transported 192 bales of cotton from Pattonia Landing (located on the Angelina twelve miles southeast of Nacogdoches) by way of the Neches to Sabine Pass. The Patton brothers continued to operate their barge service for three years, hauling cotton and other produce downriver and returning with provisions and merchandise from Galveston and New Orleans. In 1847 they purchased a steamship, the Angelina, capable of hauling 350 to 400 bales of cotton and making the round trip to Sabine Pass in fifteen to twenty days. Several other steamboats plied the Angelina during the heyday of river traffic around the time of the Civil War. Towns on or near the river include Nacogdoches, Laneville, Rusk, Cushing, Alto, Wells, Douglass, Jasper, Bevilport, Lufkin, and others. The river flows on the edge of the Angelina National Forest, and just a few miles east of the Davy Crockett National Forest; the Sabine National Forest sits on the Texas-Louisiana Border a few miles east of the river. The river is managed by the Angelina & Neches River Authority
. Angelina River Fish Stocking History
B.A. Steinhagen Reservoir Directions:
From Jasper drive 15 miles west on U.S. 90, then 5 miles south on FM 92.