Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - 6,448
2000 Census - 5,588
Forney, Texas
Forney Texas History:
Forney is located on Buffalo and Mustang Creeks. It was first settled in 1870 by several settlers, including John C. McKellar, who established a general store. Early settlers called the town Brooklyn. When the post office was established in 1873 the town was renamed Forney. The Texas and Pacific Railroad built through the settlement that same year. Forney incorporated in 1874. The railroad and fertile prairie attracted settlers and enabled Forney to become a farming center. The population increased slowly for the next century, to more than 3,000 residents by 1960. Forney is located in a predominantly agricultural but has also attracted manufacturing businesses. In 1964, Forney Reservoir was constructed on the East Fork of the Trinity River four miles northwest of Forney. The reservoir, impounded to provide water for Dallas, was later renamed Lake Ray Hubbard. A large number of warehouses selling antiques and antique reproductions are located just north of town on U.S. 80; this has led to Forney being named the “Antique Capital of Texas.” Forney is located four miles southeast of Lake Ray Hubbard at the intersections of U.S. 80, FM 548, FM 740 and FM 1641, 55 miles east of Fort Worth, 42 miles east of Arlington, 43 miles southeast of Grapevine, 19 miles southeast of downtown Dallas, 10 miles southeast of Mesquite, 20 miles southeast of Garland, 44 miles southeast of McKinney, 43 miles southeast of Lewisville, 34 miles southeast of Wylie and Lake Lavon, 39 miles south of Princeton, 14.8 miles south of Rockwall, 43.6 miles southwest of Greenville, 52 miles southwest of Emory and Lake Fork, 28 miles southwest of Quinlan and Lake Tawakoni, 45 miles northwest of Grand Saline, 27.7 miles northwest of Wills Point, 39 miles northwest of Canton, 45.8 miles northwest of Gun Barrel City and the Cedar Creek Reservoir, 12 miles northwest of Terrell, 15 miles northwest of Kaufman, 43 miles northeast of Ennis and Lake Bardwell, 42 miles northeast of Waxahachie, and 34 miles northeast of Cedar Hill, Texas. 
Spellman Museum of Forney History:
Exhibits include many artifacts from the Spellman family including some artwork by Mick Spellman’s sister, Coreen Spellman. Open Wed, 11am-3pm and by appointment. The museum also features exhibits depicting the history of Forney and its people. The museum is managed by the Forney Historic Preservation League. In 2012, the museum was in the process of renovating the old hardware store and the old funeral home for use as museum buildings. The museum is located on the second floor of the City Hall building at 101 S. Main Street in Forney. Open Wed, 11am-3pm and by appointment. (972) 564-7300. Email  Facebook  Forney Historical Markers
Ellen Brooks West Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Hours vary seasonally. (972) 564-7027. The library is located at 800 FM 741 South.
Layden Senior Citizens Center:
The center is open to everyone, but it focuses on those 60 years and older. It offers services for disadvantaged citizens of Kaufman County, KART Bus Services, a daily lunch, Meals on Wheels, special parties, exercise programs, activities and games. Bingo is held every Friday at 10am. Open Mon-Fri, 8am-2pm. (972) 564-7348. The senior center is located at 101 East Main Street at City Hall. Email