Contact
 
 
County
Fayette
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 258
2000 Census - 283
Nearby
Towns
Fayetteville, Texas
null
Fayetteville Texas History:
The Fayetteville area was originally settled by the Lipan tribe on the east side of the Colorado River, and by the American Toncahua tribe west of the Colorado River. These Indians hunted and fished on the land. The Comanche and Keechi tribes also hunted in the region. In 1821, Moses Austin, father of Stephen F. Austin, received permission from Spain to settle in Texas. Moses fell ill before he could implement his plans to begin settling the area so he asked his son to take over for him. In 1823, Mexico won independence from Spain and the newly founded Mexican government granted Stephen F. Austin the land grant originally intended for his father. Shortly after, John Crier, James Cummins and James J. Ross, original members of Stephen F. Austin’s Old Three Hundred colony, settled in the Fayetteville area. The settlement of Ross Prairie (named for James Ross) developed on present day Kramer Road, two miles southeast of present day Fayetteville. Ross Prairie became a stage stop on the Old San Felipe Road between Bastrop and Old San Felipe, and in 1855 became the site of the first Czech Protestant worship service held in Texas. In 1824, James Burnam, another Old Three Hundred colonist, established a ferry and two story brick house and trading post nearby at what became known as Burnam's Ferry or Burnam’s Crossing. During the Texas Revolution San Houston destroyed this crossing to prevent the Mexican Army from using it. By 1833, Fayetteville was a small town with mercantile stores (the current Red & White store was built in the early 1830s), a tavern, and lodging facilities. German immigrants began arriving in the 1830s, and Czech and Moravian families began arriving in the 1880s. The town had many names during its early years, including Lick Skillet, a name given because those arriving at community events after the food ran out were told to lick the skillet. The town acquired the name Fayetteville in 1844. The town was platted in 1847 and was incorporated on March 2, 1882. Today the town offers year round live music. Country western, bluegrass, polka, and classical musical programs are performed in the Texas Pickin’ Park on the square, at the historic Country Place Hotel, and at other local venues. The town also offers visitors antique shops and shows, works by local artists, quaint B&B’s, historical buildings, and activities on nearby Lake Fayette. The town is billed as the “Best Little Weekend Town in Texas” because of the large number of lodging facilities located in the area. Many visitors attending Round Top events stay in this area. The Fayetteville Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008. Fayetteville is located 5 miles north of U.S. 71 at the intersections of SH 159 (Main Street), FM 955 and FM 1291, 15.8 miles east of La Grange, 80 miles southeast of Austin, 48 miles southeast of Bastrop, 33 miles slightly southeast of Smithville, 34 miles southeast of Giddings, 12.8 miles southeast of Warrenton, 16.8 miles south of Round Top, 51 miles southwest of Washington, 29 miles southwest of Brenham, 28 miles slightly southwest of Bellville, 40 miles northwest of Eagle Lake, 21 miles northwest of Columbus, 45 miles northeast of Flatonia, 32.5 miles northeast of Schulenburg, 25.5 miles northeast of Swiss Alp, and 6 miles northeast of Ellinger, Texas.
 
Fayetteville Town Square & Historic Precinct Two Courthouse:
Sometime prior to 1850, the Texas legislature passed a law stating that county seats must be located within 5 miles of the geographic center of the county in order equalize the distance county residents had to travel to the county seat. This law was necessary because counties were large, travel was slow, and all county residents needed to travel to their county seats to conduct business, vote or attend hangings. To cut down on travel, many counties established separate voting precincts in population centers where court business and voting were usually conducted in local stores or public buildings. Three towns in Fayette County, Fayetteville, Round Top and Winchester, could afford to build precinct courthouses. The 1880s Round Top precinct courthouse was destroyed by fire; a replica is located on the town square. Winchester’s precinct courthouse was converted to a barn. In 1880, Fayetteville built their precinct courthouse on the town square using $600 provided by local residents and $200 provided by Fayette County. The first floor was occupied by the court. The second floor jail still exists and features its original leg irons. In 1887, a calaboose was added for $11. The four-faced town clock was erected in 1934 by the Fayetteville Women’s “Do Your Duty” Club.” This functioning clock still strikes on the hour and half hour. The 100 year old Picnic Oak is located on the southeast corner of the square at North Washington and West Fayette Streets. The 1930 gazebo (bandstand) was built in 1930. The gazebo is located in the center of an area of the square known as the Texas Pickin’ Park where music jam sessions are held. Granite markers located on the west side of the Square commemorate the town’s founders and the 1937 Fayetteville sewer project.” The Fayetteville town square is bordered by the 100 block of North Live Oak Street, West Fayette Street, North Washington Street and West Market Street. Most of the northeast corner of the square was destroyed by fire around 1893.  
 
Fayetteville Area Heritage Museum:
The museum is housed in two buildings, the first Fayetteville Post Office which later housed the Cufr Store, and the old Western Auto Store. The buildings were combined in 1995. Exhibits include the historic alter from the original St. John’s catholic church, the pipe organ from St. Mary’s Catholic Church, pre-historic bones and arrowheads, a cotton gin, the Dawn Theater’s movie projector, a fire engine pump, farm equipment, a cotton gin, and a restored 1965 Chevy Bellaire. Also available for viewing are memorabilia from the Baca Band. Tours are available by appointment. Open Fri-Sun, 2pm-4pm; Sat, 10am-12pm. (979) 378-2210. (979) 378-2378. (979) 224-5130. The museum is located on the west side of the square at 217 N. Washington Street.
 
Arts For Rural Texas: 
This organization is housed in the former Fojtik Tin Shop, and the former Kubala Saloon. The Guild exhibits the artwork of local and student artists, and hosts monthly music concerts on Fridays or Saturdays. Visual Arts and music classes are offered to children, youth and adults. The annual May Art Walk is held on the courthouse square. Harvestfest is held in October at the St. John’s Catholic Church. This festival features a dinner, an art auction and other fun activities. Open Mon-Sat, 10am-2pm. (979) 378-2113. 114 North Live Oak, on the Courthouse. Email