Contact
 
 
County
El Paso
Region
Big Bend
Population
2010 Census - 649,121
2000 Census - 563,662
Nearby
Towns
El Paso, Texas
null

El Paso Texas History:
El Paso is located in the Chihuahuan Desert across the Rio Grande River from Ciudad Juarez, and where the boundaries of Texas, New Mexico, and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico meet. The Folsom points found at Hueco Tanks State Park are evidence that the El Paso area has been settled by humans for thousands of years. In the 16th century, Spaniards named the mountain pass El Paso del Norte (the Pass of the North). The pass was on the north-south route of the historic Camino Real. When the Rio Grande became the border between Mexico and Texas, traffic shifted to an east-west direction. The Spanish towns of Ysleta, Socorro, and San Elizario are located near El Paso. Ysleta was established in the 1650s, and the latter two towns were established by 1862. When Mexico won its independence from Spain in 1821, the El Paso area, including the three towns, became part of Mexico. In 1829, the Rio Grande River flooded much of the lower Rio Grande valley and formed a new channel that ran south of the three towns, leaving them situated on an island between the new and old Rio Grande channels. During the Mexican War (1846-1848) American forces defeated the Mexican Army and invaded El Paso del Norte and the Mexican state of Chihuahua. The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo (February 2, 1848) officially ended the Mexican War and established the Rio Grande, the Gila, and the Colorado Rivers as the boundary between the two nations. The U.S. paid Mexico $15 million dollars for the land north of the new boundary line. In the 1850s, the Franklin settlement on Coons' Rancho was located in what is now El Paso. In 1850, San Elizario became the county seat of the newly established El Paso County. Fort Bliss was established in 1854.The 1877 Salt War of San Elizario was a racial conflict that eventually resolved by soldiers from Fort Bliss. The 1881 and 1882 arrival of the railroads turned El Paso into a thriving retail and shipping center. In 1883, El Paso became the El Paso County seat. The city grew from 15,906 in 1900 to 39,279 in 1910 and 77,560 in 1925. In 1986, military personnel made up one-fourth of the city's population and accounted for one out of every five dollars flowing through El Paso's economy. The city has always had a predominantly Hispanic population. El Paso is bordered on the west by New Mexico and on the south by the Rio Grande River, and is the largest Mexican border town. El Paso’s border city is Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, the 4th largest city in Mexico. The two cities are linked by four international bridges. El Paso is located in the foothills of the Franklin Mountains. El Paso is the sixth largest city in Texas, and the 19th largest city in the United States.It is located at the intersection of IH-10 and U.S. 60/U.S. 180, 111 miles west of Pine Springs and the Guadalupe Mountains National Park, 21 miles southeast of Anthony, 120 miles northwest of Van Horn and the Sierra Diablo Wildlife Management Area, 32.6 miles northwest of Fabens, 21 miles northwest of San Elizario, and 16 miles northwest of Socorro, Texas.
 
Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico:
Juarez’s estimated 2010 census was 1.5 million. Four international bridges connect Juarez and El Paso, Texas. Juarez was once known as the deadliest city in the world, but murder and gangland shooting statistics are improving. Visitor Information  
 
Fort Bliss, 1848:
Fort Bliss was established to protect settlers and travelers from hostile Indians, and to protect U.S. lands acquires after the Mexican War. The fort housed Confederate forces during the Civil War. Today the fort is a U.S. Army Air Defense Center, and a training center for allied troops. It is home to the Army’s Air Defense School, the 6th, 108th, and 11th Air Defense Artillery Brigades, and the Sergeants Major Academy. While the headquarters are in El Paso, Texas, the majority of the 1.1 million acre fort is located in New Mexico. A Buffalo Soldier Statue is located at the fort entrance. The Museum of the Noncommissioned Officer is located at Biggs Army Airfield in building 11331 at Barksdale and 5th Streets. The Fort Bliss and Old Ironsides Museum is located in Building 1735 Marshall Road, adjacent to the commissary. Over 300 species of birds are found. Public access is limited to the Main Post Area and to state roads. General Information: (915) 568-2121. Old Ironsides Museum: (915) 568-5412. Fort Bliss Bird Checklist 
 
El Paso County Courthouse, 1991:
El Paso County has had 6 courthouses. The first courthouse/jail was located in San Elizario, Texas. The 1917 courthouse was remodeled in the 1950s and demolished in 1992. The present courthouse is a modern office building built in 1991. The 2010 El Paso County census was 800,647. (915) 546-2000. 500 East San Antonio Street, El Paso, Texas 79901. Email