Diboll Texas History:
In 1893, Thomas Lewis Latane Temple purchased 7,000 acres of pine timberland from J.C. Diboll, and constructed the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill. He established the town of Diboll as a company town. Many of the town’s homes were owned by Southern Pine. The Diboll post office was established in 1897. Between 1900 and 1950, the company operated a large commissary which featured a drugstore, the post office, a grocery and a feed store. Doctors’ offices, the railroad station, and the lumber company offices were located nearby. The Houston, East and West Texas Railroad provided transportation for the lumber. During the Great Depression the company sold approximately 100,000 acres to the U.S. Government for less than $3 an acre in order to have enough money to pay its workers and to keep it’s sawmill running. Many of the employees repaid the company loyalty to its employees by loaning the company sums of money. In 1948, Arthur Temple Jr. became the general manager and vice president of Southern Pine Lumber Company. He became president three years later when his father died. Temple sold many of the company owned houses to the townspeople, and encouraged the building of private homes. He built a medical clinic, established an ambulance service, improved the streets and built a new fire station. In the 1950s, a shopping center replaced the old town commissary, a new bank opened, school improvements were made, a radio station was established, and a library was built. Diboll incorporated in 1962. In 1973, Diboll became corporate headquarters for Temple Eastex, one of the largest forest product companies in the nation, and a descendant of the old Southern Pine Lumber Company operations. Today, a large portion of the town’s economy is based on forest products. Diboll is located on the eastern edge of the Davy Crockett Forest, three miles north of the Neches River and approximately 20 miles west of the Sam Rayburn Reservoir at the intersection of U.S. 59 and FM 1818, 3 miles east of the Alabama Creek WMA, 13.7 miles northeast of Corrigan, and 11 miles southwest of Lufkin, Texas.
Historic Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The original commissary at this site was constructed about 1894 when T. L. L. Temple (1859 - 1935) started the first Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill here. The store was moved to the present building when it was completed in 1923. The inventory included groceries, medicine, ice, furniture, dry goods, and coffins. Items were purchased with "company checks," special tokens of metal or wax-coated paper. Managed from 1896 to 1938 by W. P. Rutland, the commissary closed in 1953. The building housed company offices until 1979.” The marker is located at South First and Mill Streets at the railroad tracks.
The History Center:
This public history and archives center collects, preserves, and makes available the history of the East Texas Region to scholars and other interested persons. Materials include manuscripts, business and local government records, maps, newspapers, oral histories, books, and over 200,000 photographs. Historical exhibits are located inside and outside the building. Open Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm; Sat, 9am-1pm; admission is free. (936) 829-3543. The center is located at 102 North Temple, Diboll, TX 75941.
T.L.L. Temple Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-5:30pm; Sat, 10am-2pm. (936) 829-5497. 300 Park Street.
Shop Pouland’s the Everything Store:
Purchase anything from gardening supplies to animal feed. (936) 829-4040. 611 N. Temple Drive # A.
Event Venue - Lottie & Arthur Temple Civic Center:
Amenities at this reservable center include an auditorium, a banquet room, a state of the art sound system, a large kitchen a stage, restrooms and parking. The center is available for public and private events. (936) 829-4888. The center is located on FM 1818, 0.33 miles east of U.S. 59. Email
Event Venue - Scout House at Old Orchard Park:
This reservable building features a large meeting room, a kitchen, and restrooms; accommodates 50 people. This building is located in Orchard Park. (936) 829-4757. The park is located west of the golf course.
Annual Houston Rodeo Old Spanish Trail Ride, Logansport, LA to Houston, Feb:
This 216 mile trail ride was established in 1956. The ride begins in Logansport, Louisiana. The 2015 ride began on February, 21, and included 50 riders and no wagons. The first night stay is at the SoSo City Park in Timpson, Texas. The second night (22 Feb) stay was at the Total Service Station at U.S. 59 and Loop 224 in Nacogdoches. On the third day, they lunched at the Lufkin Angelina Expo Center, and spent the night at Old Orchard Park in Diboll, Texas. Lunch on the fourth day was at the U.S. 59 picnic area, one mile south of Moscow, Texas. They overnighted at Barney Wiggins Memorial Park in Livingston. The 5th
day found them having lunch at the Savage Metal Yard (U.S. 59 & Loop 424) in Shepherd, Texas. They spent the night at the VFW Post (FM 2025) in Cleveland, Texas. The sixth day lunch was held at 21066 U.S. 69 Feeder, New Caney, Texas. They overnighted at Teamsters Local, 5939 Bender Road, Humble, Texas. The last day they took a break at 11th
Street and Durham, and spent the night in Parking Lot H, adjacent to the Fonde Recreation Center in Houston. They rode the next day to Memorial Park (6501 Memorial Drive, 77007). (936) 269-3064. (281) 413-5597. (281) 413-5661.
Annual Tamale Festival, a Saturday in 2nd Saturday in May:
Activities include a tamale eating contest, a tamale cook-off, salsa and guacamole contests, food and craft vendors, and Little Mister & Miss, and Teen pageants. This event is held at the Temple Civic Center. (936) 829-4888. The center is located on FM 1818, 0.33 miles east of U.S. 59. Email