Contact
 
 
County
Delta
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 1,969
2000 Census - 2,150
Nearby
Towns
Cooper, Texas
null
Cooper Texas History:
Cooper was founded in 1870 as the county seat of the newly established Delta County. The Cooper post office was established in 1871, and the town incorporated in 1881. The Texas Midland Railroad built a line through the town in 1876, establishing Cooper as the commercial and shipping center for Delta County’s agricultural industries; it remains so today. The Delta County Museum is housed in the old Texas midland Railroad depot. By 1885, the town had 300 residents. It grew to 1,000 residents by 1896.  Cooper is located on Jim Chapman Lake (formerly Cooper Lake) at the intersections of SH 24, FM 1528 and SH 154 (Dallas Avenue), 30 miles northeast of Greenville, 16.8 miles northeast of Commerce, 45 miles southeast of Bonham, 37 miles southeast of Honey Grove, 23 miles southwest of Paris, 59 miles southwest of Clarksville, 42 miles northwest of Mt. Vernon, 36 miles northwest of Yantis and Lake Fork, and 21 miles northwest of Sulphur Springs, Texas.  
 
Delta County Courthouse, 1940:
The brick courthouse was designed in modern style by architect Hoke Smith. The roads around the courthouse square are paved in red brick. The courthouse is located one block west of the courthouse square. A gazebo sits on the foundation of the 1900 courthouse. The 2010 Delta County census was 5,231. 200 W. Dallas Avenue.