Contact
 
 
County
Comal
Region
Hill Country
Nearby
Lakes
Canyon Lake
null
Canyon Lake Information:
The Canyon Lake Dam is located on the Guadalupe River at Mile 303, approximately 16 miles upstream from New Braunfels, Texas. Dam construction began in 1958 and water impoundment began in 1964. The conservation pool level was reached in 1968. Two small communities, Hancock and Cranes Mill, were undulated by lake waters. This 8,230 surface acre lake has 80 miles of shoreline and a maximum depth of 125 feet. Amenities include 23 boat ramps, two marinas, parks and campgrounds, trails, a golf course, a country club, and a yacht club. Lake activities include scuba diving, kayaking and canoeing, fishing, water skiing, parasailing, sailing, hiking and boating. Predominant fish species include largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, Guadalupe bass, white and striped bass, and catfish. Lake towns include Startzville and Sattler, Texas. The lake is located in Comal County, midway between San Antonio and Austin, and 16 miles northwest of New Braunfels. Lake Location Map  Lake Facilities Map  TPWD Public Access Facilities Map  Current Lake Level    
 
Guadalupe River:  
The Guadalupe River rises in two forks in western Kerr County. Its North Fork rises just south of SH 41, four miles from the Real-Kerr County line, and flows east for twenty-two miles to its confluence with the South Fork, near Hunt, Texas. The South Fork rises three miles southwest of the intersection of SH 39 and FM187 and flows northeast for twenty miles to meet the North Fork. After these two branches converge, the Guadalupe River proper flows southeast for 230 miles as it passes through Kerr, Kendall, Comal, Guadalupe, Gonzales, DeWitt, and Victoria Counties. It then forms the boundary between southern Victoria County and Calhoun County and between Calhoun and Refugio Counties before reaching its mouth on San Antonio Bay near Seadrift, Texas. The river’s principal tributaries are the Comal and San Marcos Rivers. Lakes on the Guadalupe River include Canyon Lake, Lake McQueeney, Lake Dunlap, Lake Placid, Lake Gonzales, Wood Lake, and Meadow Lake. The Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority oversees the control, storage, and distribution of water from the Guadalupe and Blanco Rivers. The river is favored by Canoers and kayakers, and favored in some areas for its tubing. Towns on the river include San Marcos, Kerrville, New Braunfels, Seguin, Gonzales, Victoria, Prairie Lea, Fentress, and others.
Guadalupe River Flow Rates    
Below Canyon Lake Guadalupe River Trout Fish Stocking & 4 River Crossings Map
Guadalupe River Fish Stocking History
Guadalupe River Trails Below Canyon Lake Map
 
Historic Town of Cranes Mill, Texas:
Cranes Mill was stock-raising community seventeen miles northwest of New Braunfels in central Comal County. It was named for J. B. Crain, who built a mill at the Gum Spring crossing on the Guadalupe River in the early 1850s. The community’s name was shortened to Crane when the post office was established before the Civil War. By 1872, August Engel, a minister, teacher, and storeowner, ran the community's post office in his store. His son succeeded him and was postmaster there until the rural mail route from Fischer's Store was established. The Cranes Mill community had an estimated twenty-five residents until the 1940s. The town was inundated by floodwaters when Canyon Lake was impounded in the mid-1960s. Cranes Mill Park was named after the town.
 
Historic Town of Hancock, Texas:
Hancock was in the Hancock Valley fifteen miles northeast of New Braunfels in northern Comal County. It was named for John Hancock, who in 1851 was granted land on the north bank of the Guadalupe River. The community was served by the Sorrell Creek School. The Hancock post office opened in 1914 in a private residence, operated later in the Frank Guenther store, and then was discontinued. In 1940, the farming and ranching community had a population of ten and was on a postal route from Fischer Store. The town grew to forty residents in the 1950s. The town was inundated by floodwaters when Canyon Lake was impounded in the mid-1960s.