2000 Census - 1,364
Farwell Texas History:
The town was established on the XIT Ranch at the point where the Pecos Valley and Northern Texas Railway entered New Mexico. The town was named for the brothers Charles B. and John V. Farwell, who formed a company which funded the building of the Texas State Capitol in Austin in exchange for 3 million acres of land in the Texas Panhandle. The Farwell townsite was surveyed in 1905 and was made the company headquarters which soon consisted of a large warehouse, a hotel, and a group of brick office buildings. The Farwell post office was established in 1906. In 1907, Farwell became the county seat of the newly organized Parmer County. In 1908, the Santa Fe Railroad established a freight depot, warehouse, and coal yard on the Texas side of the border. By 1910, the town had over 800 residents and had begun to rival Texico and Clovis, New Mexico, as a railroad shipping center. The town incorporated in 1907, but withdrew the charter in 1910 when the city’s funds were depleted. The XIT Ranch dissolved in 1911. Farwell continued to grow as real estate developers attracted more settlers and sold off parcels of the ranch. By the mid-1920s, the town had modern utilities, and further improvements were made on the waterworks by 1930. Farwell reincorporated in 1950 when it had 1,250 residents. Farwell’s primary industries are agriculture and agricultural support industries such as a fertilizer plant, an irrigation pipe plant, several feedlot operations, and four grain elevators with a total storage capacity of more than six million bushels. Farwell is located on the New Mexico State line at the intersections of U.S. 70, U.S. 84, U.S. 60, SH 348, and FM 292, 10.4 miles east of Clovis (New Mexico), 90 miles northwest of Lubbock, 22 miles northwest of Muleshoe, 97 miles southwest of Amarillo, 48.8 miles southwest of Hereford, 46.6 miles southwest of Dimmitt, and 53.4 miles northwest of Littlefield, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
Ozark Trail Obelisks:
These Ozark Trail markers were located in five states in the 20s when many automobile enthusiasts were pushing for the improvement of American highways. Each obelisk listed mileage distances on the trail between its placement city and several distant cities. All of the trails lead to or connected up with routes that went to the Ozark Mountains. Many of these routes have become federal highways today. 21 obelisks remain. Tulia’s and Tampico’s obelisks are two of the few remaining obelisks still located in its original street location at the intersection of Maxwell and Broadway. Dimmitt’s obelisk is located on the courthouse square. Farwell’s is located in the city park.
Parmer County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A & M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen, home economics, agriculture, 4-H and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them or the county judge’s office.(806) 481-3619. 401 3rd Street, Farwell, Texas 79325. Email
Parmer County Courthouse, 1916:
The brick courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style by architect C. Risser. The 2010 Parmer County census was 10,269. (806) 481-3383. 401 3rd Street, Farwell, Texas 79325.
Palmer County Jail, 1917:
The jail was built out of the same brick as the courthouse, but has none of the Texas Renaissance style; the second story was added in 1928. the jail served as a jail until the new jail was built on the north side of the courthouse.
Parmer County Pioneer Heritage Museum, Friona, Texas:
The museum is housed in Friona’s first church building. The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Friona and Parmer County. A Quanah Parker Arrow Trail arrow is located on the museum grounds. Admission is free. (806) 250-5212. 218 West 6th Street, Friona, Texas 79035. Friona is located on U.S. 60, 26 miles northeast of Farwell.
July 16, 2016
Annual Friona Cheeseburger Festival, July, Friona, Texas:
Activities include a cheeseburger cook-off for amateur and professional chefs, food and merchandise vendors, a motorcycle and car show, children’s activities and more. (806) 250-3491. This event is held at Friona City Park at 700 Main Street, Friona, Texas. Friona is located at the intersection of U.S. 60 and SH 214, 26 miles northeast of Farwell, Texas. July 16, 2016 Information
Annual Maize Days, a Saturday in Sept or Oct, Friona, Texas:
Activities include Little Miss and Miss Friona Pageants, Gospel gathering, the Chieftain Homecoming game, a Saturday parade, games, arts and crafts, food vendors, all schools reunions, and golf scramble. (806) 250-3491. Friona is located at the intersection of U.S. 60 and SH 214, 26 miles northeast of Farwell, Texas.