Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - 49,047
2000 Census - 37,646
DeSoto, Texas
DeSoto Texas History:
DeSoto was founded in the 1840s by W. Caldwell, Z. Heath, T. Rhodes, and C. Parks. T.J. Johnson built the town’s first general store on Parks’ land grant in 1848, and the community that developed around the store became known as the Store. The DeSoto post office was established in 1884. By 1885, DeSoto had a cotton gin, a harness shop, a general store and 120 residents. By 1890 only the general store and 41 residents remained. The post office closed in 1906. The community slowly began to grow again and it incorporated in 1949. In 1950 it had eight businesses and 300 residents. The town has continued to grow because of its proximity to Dallas. Many DeSoto residents commute to work in Dallas or Grand Prairie. DeSoto is bordered by Lancaster to the east, Duncanville to the north, and Cedar Hill to the west. Ten Mile Creek runs through town. DeSoto is located just east of Joe Pool Lake at the intersections IH-35E/U.S. 77, IH-20 and U.S. 67, 16.4 miles north of Waxahachie, 50 miles northeast of Hillsboro, 39 miles northeast of Cleburne, 30 miles northeast of Burleson, 13.7 miles northeast of Midlothian, 6 miles east of Cedar Hill, Joe Pool Lake and Cedar Hill State Park, 53 miles southeast of Azle and Eagle Mountain Lake, 41 miles southeast of Benbrook and Lake Benbrook, 35.6 miles southeast of Fort Worth and Lake Worth, 25 miles southeast of Arlington and Lake Arlington, 36 mile southeast of Grapevine and Lake Grapevine, 34 miles southeast of Carrollton, 21 miles southeast of Irving, 20 miles southeast of Grand Prairie, 18 miles southeast of Mountain Creek Lake, 7 miles southeast of Duncanville, 43 miles south of The Colony and Lewisville Lake, 35 miles southwest of Rowlett and Ray Hubbard Lake, 24.6 miles southwest of Mesquite, 41.6 miles southwest of Terrell, 19 miles southwest of Dallas, 38 miles west of Kaufman, and 31 miles northwest of Lake Bardwell and Ennis, Texas. 
Historic Nance Farm:
Two acres of the original 640 acre farm and the surviving buildings are now owned by the City of DeSoto. Otway Bird Nance built the house and milking barn in 1851. Structures include the home, a windmill, a windmill well, a bucket well, curing shed, milking barn, and tank house. The house will be restored. The farm was designated a Texas Historical Landmark in 1976. (972) 230-9694. The property is located in the Mantlebrook Subdivision at 1325 Greenbrook Drive. Email