Contact
 
 
Counties
Dallam, Hartley
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 7,930
2000 Census - 7,237
Nearby
Towns
Dalhart, Texas
null
Dalhart Texas History:
In 1901, W.J. Blair and Charles W. Thorton platted Dalhart at the intersection of the Rock Island and Fort Worth and Denver City rail lines. The settlement was initially called Twist Junction. Later the settlement was renamed Denrock, a combination of the two railroads. Postal authorities objected to the name so the town adopted the name of Dalhart, a combination of the first syllables of the two counties in which it was located, Dallam and Hartley. Lot sales began in June, 1902. The town incorporated that same year. In 1903 county commissioners voted to move the county seat from Texline to Dalhart. The town became a shipping center for the XIT Ranch and other area ranches. C. E. Williams, a noted well driller, built the town's first water tower in 1906. Previously, residents purchased water at twenty cents a barrel from barrels lining the railroad tracks. By 1912, Dalhart had 3,500 residents. Dalhart was one of the first Panhandle towns to sell oil leases. During the drought years of the 1930s (see Dust Bowl) Dalhart was notorious for its "black dusters." R. S. (Uncle Dick) Coon, a wealthy businessman who owned the DeSoto Hotel, became legendary for his generosity to depression-stricken farmers and cowboys. In 1990 Dalhart remained an agribusiness center for a wide area of Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. Since 1936 Dalhart has been the home of the XIT Ranch Reunion and Rodeo, held in August. The XIT Reunion Association built the landmark Empty Saddles monument and established the XIT Museum. Dalhart is located just south of the Rita Blanca National Grasslands on Rita Blanca Creek at the intersection of U.S. 87, U.S. 385, and U.S. 54, 85 miles northwest of Fritch, 76 miles northwest of Fritch, 38 miles northwest of Dumas, 29 miles northwest of Channing, 64 miles north of Vega, and 36 miles southeast of Texline, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
 
Dallam County Courthouse, 1922:
This beautiful red brick courthouse was designed in Classical Revival style by architects Smith and Townes. The courthouse is identical to the Lynn County courthouse in Tahoka, Texas and the Freestone County courthouse in Fairfield, Texas. The Sesquicentennial Monument and the James R. Fox Memorial are located on the courthouse grounds. Both the Dallam County Courthouse and the Hartley County Courthouse have the Ten Commandments Monuments on their courthouse lawns. The 2010 Dallam County census was 6,703. (806) 235-3442. 900 Main Street.  
 
Dallam/Hartley Counties Veterans Memorial:
The memorial honors Dallam & Hartley Counties residents who served in the nation’s military in peacetime or wartime. The stones at the entry to the memorial list the names of those who were killed or are missing in action. Thee additional stones give a brief history of U.S. Wars and conflicts. The memorial is lighted for nighttime viewing and is under 24-hour surveillance. Park amenities include flower beds, a gazebo, picnic tables, benches, a playground and sidewalks for walking or jogging. The park hosts the annual Fiddler’s Contest during the annual August XIT Rodeo and Reunion. The memorial is located in Veteran’s Memorial Park in Dalhart at 7th and Rock Island Streets.