Contact
 
 
County
Harris
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 18,527
Nearby
Towns
Cypress, Texas
null
Cypress Texas History:
The communities of Cypress and Jersey Village are commonly known as Cy-Fair or Cypress-Fairbanks. The Cypress area was originally inhabited the Atakapan Indians. In the 1840s German immigrants started setting alongside the Anglo Ranches on Cypress Creek. The original 1878 dance hall on Huffmeister Road burned, but was replaced in 1889 (using corrugated tin) with the financial assistance of the Cypress Rifle Club. The Tin Hall Dance Hall is still a popular dance hall. The discovery of a hot artesian well nearby resulted in the building of the Houston Hotwell Sanitarium and Hotel. By the 1980s the site was occupied by the Hot Wells Shooting Range. Cypress had fewer than 100 residents in the mid-1980, but the greater Cy-Fair area, a Houston suburb composed of many subdivisions, had thousands of residents. In 2000 the Cypress-Fairbanks area reported a population of 18,527.The community of Cypress is located at the intersections of SH 6, U.S. 290, Spring Cypress Road, Fry Road and Cypress Rosehill Roads, 27.8 miles northwest of downtown Houston, 33 miles northwest of Sugarland, 20 miles northeast of Katy, 39.6 miles northeast of San Felipe, 60 miles northeast of Eagle Lake, 27 miles southeast of Hempstead, 18 miles southeast of Waller, 11 miles southeast of Hockley, 13.5 miles southwest of Tomball, 35 miles southwest of Spring, and 36 miles west of Humble, Texas.  
 
Historic St. John Lutheran Church, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Lutheran settlers from Germany moved to this area in 1848. They met in family homes for worship and in 1853 constructed their first church building, which also served as a school. In the 1860s, following the Civil War, they constructed a second building for the church, which at the time was called "the Church in Cypress Settlement." The Rev. Andreas Schmidt became the congregation's first minister in 1872. During that time, church members began a register, listing baptisms, confirmations and weddings, as well as burials in the church cemetery. In 1877, the congregation, then known as "Little Cypress," called the Rev. August Hofius, its first pastor from the Missouri Synod. The congregation wrote, in German script, its first known constitution in 1893 as the "German Evangelical Lutheran St. John's Congregation of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession at Little Cypress and Surrounding Areas." The membership continued to grow, and a new sanctuary was built in 1908. In its tall steeple hung a bell with two clangors, one large and one small. The larger, louder one rang at the beginning and ending of each service. The smaller one was used during services and to communicate to area residents the Sabbath, local events and deaths. The bell and cornerstone from the 1908 church remain with the congregation. During the 1940s, St. John Lutheran Church underwent change and expansion, including the formation of a ladies society and the construction of a new schoolhouse. It also discontinued use of the German language in services and, in 1942, joined the Missouri Synod. During the next several decades, the congregation continued to grow; members worked and served together in butcher clubs, quilting bees, barn raisings, picnics, mission festivals and other activities.” The marker is located at 15235 Spring Cypress Road, Cypress, Texas.
 
Historic St. John Lutheran Cemetery, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Settlers from Posen and Pomerania, Germany came to this area in 1848. They formed St. John Lutheran Church in 1853. A smallpox epidemic in 1873 claimed the lives of 11 members. They and other area victims were interred on the property of church member Henry Raatz. Most of these burials were unmarked, but one, Wilhelm F. Petrich's, is the earliest marked grave. In 1878, Raatz donated this land to the church for a graveyard. After more than a century, the community still uses the historic cemetery, which is maintained by an association that formed in 1973.” The marker is located at 15235 Spring Cypress Road, Cypress, Texas.
 
Main Stage Theatre, Lone Star College CyFair Campus:
The Box Office is located in the theatre lobby. The theater is located in the Center for the Arts building at 9191 Barker Cypress Road.Email  Facebook 
 
Cypress Top Historic Park, 2.6 Acres:
This wonderful historic park consists of 8 restored historical buildings from the former town of Cypress Top. Buildings include the Juergen home, Juergen Dance Hall, Juergen General Store, the Grist Mill, a barber shop, a tool shed, the Delco House, and an incredible Humble service station. Amenities include a reservable picnic pavilion and restrooms. The buildings are filled with historical artifacts. The buildings and site were donated to Harris County by Juergen’s grandson, Gene Zaboroski, and Gene’s wife. The park has reservable facilities. Open 7am-dusk. To tour the buildings or to use the park pavilion, call (281) 859-1566. This historical park is located at 26026 Old Hempstead Road (U.S. 290), 77429, behind Lowes.
 
Lone Star College CyFair:
(281) 290-3200. 9191 Barker Cypress Road, Cypress, TX 77433.

Harris County Northwest BranchLibrary:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, teen and family movie showings, Flipster magazines, classes, fax and copy machines, a career center, computer classes (English and Spanish), public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. It also offers free Hoopla Digital, a Netflix type service permitting members to download movies, e-books, music and other entertainment to their personal devices. Up to five may be downloaded each month either in the library or online. Open Mon, 1pm-8pm; Tue, 10am-6pm; Wed, 12pm-8pm; Thu, 10am-6pm; Fri, 1pm-6pm; Sat, 10am-5pm; closed Sundays. (281) 890-2665. 11355 Regency Green Drive, 77429. 

Harris County Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, teen and family movie showings, Flipster magazines, classes, fax and copy machines, a career center, computer classes (English and Spanish), public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. It also offers free Hoopla Digital, a Netflix type service permitting members to download movies, e-books, music and other entertainment to their personal devices. Up to five may be downloaded each month either in the library or online. Open Mon-Thu, 7am-10pm; Fri-Sat, 8am-6pm; closed Sunday. (281) 290-3210. 9191 Baker-Cypress Road, 77433.