Conroe Texas History:
In 1881, former Union Cavalry office and Houston lumberman Isaac Conroe established a sawmill on Stewarts Creek, two miles east of the International-Great Northern’s Houston to Crockett line. The mill was connected to the track by a tram line. After Conroe moved his mill to the junction of the two lines, the mill became the train station. In 1884, the Conroe Switch post office was established in the mill commissary. Within ten years the name was later shortened to Conroe. The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway extended its Navasota to Montgomery spur to Conroe in the mid-1880s. Conroe benefited from the late 19th
Century the East Texas lumber boom. By 1889, Conroe had 300 residents, and Montgomery, Texas lost is position as Montgomery County seat when Conroe was elected the new seat. The courthouse was housed in a residence donated by Isaac Conroeuntil a brick courthouse was completed in 1891. By the early 1990s, Conroe had 500 residents and was shipping center for area cotton and tobacco farmers, ranchers, lumber companies, brick manufacturers. The tobacco industry ceased to exist within a few years after the U.S. lifted the tariff on Cuban tobacco. Conroe incorporated in 1904 when it had 1,009 residents. By 1906, an electrical generating plant on Stewarts Creek was providing the town’s electricity. 1901 and 1911 fires destroyed much of Conroe’s central business district. Conroe suffered economically during the beginning of the Great Depression as many of the mills were forced to close. George W. Strake’s December 13, 1931 discovery of oil seven miles east of town revived the town’s economy. It briefly claimed more millionaires per capita than any other town in the United States. The population peaked at approximately 10,000 in 1936. By the early 1940s, the town had three new schools, paved streets, a large hotel, the ornate Chrighton Theater, a county hospital, a new county courthouse, a community center and a swimming pool. By 1942, oil production had declined and the population dropped to 4,624. The population began to climb steadily in the early 1950s. The construction of IH-45 contributed to the town’s growth as Houstonians moved to the area. The 1973 impoundment of Lake Conroe seven miles northwest of Conroe on the West Fork of the San Jacinto River also aided the town’s growth. Today, major industries include lumber, petrochemicals, and manufacturing and engineering firms.Conroe’s WPA Post Office Mural "Early Texans"
was painted by Nicholas Lyon in 1938; the mural is missing.Conroe is located at the intersections of IH-45 and SH 105, 7 miles southeast of Lake Conroe, 42 miles slightly southeast of Navasota, 41 miles southeast of Anderson, 27 miles slightly southeast of Plantersville, 15.6 miles southeast of Montgomery, 30.5 miles slightly south of Huntsville, 8.4 miles south of Willis, approximately 40 miles southwest of Lake Livingston (the lake), 35 miles southwest of Shepherd, 23 miles west of Cleveland, 48.6 miles northwest of Sheldon and Sheldon Lake State Park, 31 miles northwest of Humble, 28 miles northwest of Kingwood and Lake Houston, 22 miles northwest of Splendora, 21 miles northwest of New Caney, 41 miles north of Houston, 11 miles north of Shenandoah, 49 miles southeast of Washington-on-the-Brazos, 47 miles northeast of Hempstead, 24 miles northeast of Magnolia, and 23 miles northeast of Tomball, Texas.
Historic Downtown Conroe Main Street Program & Art Benches:
In 2006, Conroe became a Texas Main Street City. There are many historical buildings including the early 1900s Old Capital Drugstore, and the 1940s Owen Theatre and Corner Pub. Colorful art benches are located downtown; a brochure is available from the Conroe Convention & Visitors Bureau. For more downtown arts information call (936) 522-3014. Historic Downtown Information and Events: (936) 522-3014. Conroe, Texas Main Street Program: (936) 522-3014.
Montgomery County War Memorial Park (Veteran's Park):
Amenities at this Montgomery County park include park benches and a memorial. (936) 788-8325. The park is located on SH 105 in front of the Montgomery County Tax Office (400 North San Jacinto).
Lone Star Monument and Historical Texas Flag Park:
Amenities include a bust of Dr. Charles B. Stewart who is one of the Texans credited with designing the Texas Lone Star Flag, and the bronze Texian statue of a fighting volunteer of the Texas Revolution. The Texian statue was created by sculptor Craig Campobella. The park is located adjacent to the Montgomery County Central Library at 104 IH-45 North. Email
Montgomery County Courthouse, 1936:
This limestone courthouse was designed in art deco style by architect Joseph Finger. Additions were added in 1965, giving the courthouse a more modern look. The 2010 Montgomery County census was 455,746. (936) 756-0571. 301 N. Main Street.
pork. (936) 441-2739. The brewery is located at 1207 North FM 3083 East, Conroe, 77303. Reviews