Contact
 
 
County
Burnet
Region
Hill Country
Nearby
Lakes
Lake Marble Falls
null
Lake Marble Falls and Starcke Dam Information:
The 611 surface acre Lake Marble Falls is one of the 7 Highland Lakes located on the Colorado River. It is located entirely within the city limits of Marble Falls. The lake was formed by the creation of the Max Starke Dam. It was impounded in 1961 and has a maximum depth of 60 feet. Most of the shoreline is lined with steep cliffs. The lake is a popular boating and fishing lake. The area just below Max Starke Dam features flat rocks and a steady water flow. This area is particularly popular with fisherman. The banks leading to this area are very steep. The City of Marble Falls, named after the falls that were inundated when the lake was impounded, operates three adjacent parks on the lake. The Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) manages the lower Colorado River, Lake Marble Falls and the other six Highland Lakes.  
Lake Marble Falls Area Map
Current Highland Lakes’ Levels 
TPWD Public Access Facilities Map 
 
Colorado River:
The Colorado River is the largest of the rivers that exist wholly in Texas. The river rises in intermittent draws in northeastern Dawson County and flows generally southeastward for 600 miles before it bends to the east across southern Burnet County and continues its southeastern course across Travis, Bastrop, Payette, Colorado, Wharton, and Matagorda Counties to its mouth on Matagorda Bay near Palacios, Texas. Major towns on its route include Austin, Lamesa, Colorado City, Robert Lee, Ballinger, Paint Rock, Marble Falls, Bastrop, Smithville, La Grange, Columbus, Wharton, Bay City and Matagorda. Important reservoirs (lakes) on the Colorado include Lake J.B. Thomas, E.V. Spence Reservoir, Buchanan Lake, Inks Lake, Lake LBJ, Lake Marble Falls, Lake Travis, Lake Austin, and Lady Bird Lake (Town Lake) in Austin; the latter 7 lakes are known as the Highland Lakes. Early in the 19th century the river’s slow current caused the formation of a raft, or a log jam, which gradually grew upstream so that the river was navigable in 1839 for only ten miles above its mouth. By 1858 the situation in Matagorda and Wharton counties had become so bad that the state appropriated funds for the construction of a new channel around the raft; the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers opened the channel in the mid-1800s, but it was not maintained so the raft filled it up. After the Civil War the Colorado ceased to be a factor in transportation. The delta that developed after removal of the log jam in 1925, reached across Matagorda Bay as far as Matagorda Peninsula by 1936. In 1936 a channel was dredged through the new delta from the Gulf of Mexico to the town of Matagorda, thus forcing the river to deposit its flotsam and sediment directly into the Gulf. With the removal of the raft, the seaport town of Matagorda gradually became landlocked. The present Caney Creek channel was the original channel of the Colorado River until approximately a thousand years ago. The Lower, Central, and Upper Colorado River Authorities are the three agencies that oversee the conservation of and use of the Colorado River.  Fish Stocking History