Freeport Texas History:
The post office has been in continuous operation since 1895, but the town was officially founded by the Freeport Sulphur Company in 1912. By 1913 the town had a one room school house, and by 1914 it had a hotel, a bank, a fish and oyster plant and a church. Freeport incorporated in 1917 and had 3,500 residents by 1929. In 1939 growth was spurred by construction of the Dow Chemical Company facilities, and by the town’s participation in the Brazosport Industrial Area in the early 1940s. In July 1957 Freeport merged with (new) Velasco, Texas, the first capital of the Republic of Texas. The original Old Velasco was located at the current day site of Surfside Beach. Velasco moved inland near present day Freeport after being destroyed by an 1875 hurricane. In 2003 Freeport annexed the 3.5-mile-long Bryan Beach which is maintained as a city park. Down Chemical is the town’s largest employer. Freeport’s 2010 census was 12,049. Freeport is a deep-water port on the Gulf of Mexico and is located three miles from the mouth of the Brazos River on the Gulf of Mexico. It is bounded on the west by the Brazos River and on the southeast by Quintana Beach. Freeport is located at the intersections of SH 36, SH 288 and FM 523, 6 miles northwest of Quintana, 7 miles northwest of Surfside Beach, 16.4 miles southeast of Brazoria, 9 miles southeast of Lake Jackson, 8.8 miles southeast of Richwood, 7 miles southeast of Jones Creek, 6.4 miles southeast of Clute, 4.6 miles southwest of Oyster Creek, and 16.5 miles slightly southeast of Angleton, Texas.
Brazosport Area of Cities, 50 Miles South of Houston:
Clute, Freeport, Jones Creek, Lake Jackson, Oyster Creek, Quintana, Richwood, and Surfside Beach make up this area of cities. They are located at the mouth of the Brazos and San Bernard Rivers, and together have approximately 44 miles of sandy beaches. Industries include chemical manufacturing, petro-chemical processing, a variety of other manufacturing industries, deep water port activities, sports and commercial fishing, and tourism. These towns are very close together, so whether you are planning to visit or move to one of these towns, it is important to read and research each one of them. Limiting yourself to the activities, and cultural or outdoor offerings of one of these towns, would be like isolating yourself in the neighborhood you live in. The major beaches in the area are Bryan, Quintana, and Surfside Beaches. Two other nearby towns are Angleton and Sweeny. (979) 285-2501.
Southern Brazoria County Transit System:
This system operates with Lake Jackson, Clute, Freeport and Angleton, and provides connections between the four towns. (800) 266-2320. (409) 945-0820. The system operates Mon-Fri, 6am-6pm, and during summers.
The port’s 400-foot-wide and 45-foot-deep channel will soon be widened and deepened. It is located three miles from the deeper Gulf of Mexico waters. The port is connected to highways, a railroad and the Intracoastal Waterway, and has over 7,500 acres of land available for development. The port rates #16 for international cargo tonnage handled. Maersk Line, the world’s largest container shipping company, calls at Port Freeport weekly. The shrimp boat trawler Mystery is on display at the head of Brazosport harbor channel on SH 288 in Freeport. Port Freeport and the Coastal Conservation Association (CAS) host the annual May Take-A-Child Fishing Tournament on the banks of the Old Brazos River at the Freeport Municipal Park. (979) 233-2667. The port’s executive offices are located at 200 West 2nd
Street, Freeport. The Port Freeport Terminal is located at 1001 Navigation Boulevard, Freeport.
City of Freeport Main Street Program:
The Freeport Main Street Program, a program of the National trust for Historic Preservation and the Texas Historical Commission, merged with the Freeport Historical Commission in 2007. Freeport is recognized as a National Main Street City. The Freeport Main Street district runs from the Old Brazos River south to 4th Street, and from FM 1495 west to Velasco. Main Street Cities are given assistance in restoring and revitalizing their downtown areas. (979) 233-3526.