Contact
 
 
Counties
Bastrop, Travis
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 18,135
2000 Census - 5,700
Nearby
Towns
Elgin, Texas
null
Elgin Texas History:
In 1871, the Houston and Texas Central Railway built through the area and established a flag stop called Glasscock. The town was officially platted in 1872, and renamed Elgin to honor the railroad's land commissioner. In 1883, Elgin incorporated and established a post office. In 1879, Elgin had 400 residents, most of who moved from nearby Perryville which was bypassed by the railroad. By 1884, Elgin had a newspaper, a Methodist church, five general stores, two drug stores, three cotton gins, a brick business and a saloon. The 1886 arrival of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad enhanced Elgin’s status as a shipping point for bricks, cotton, wool and livestock. In 1890, Elgin had 1,100 residents and supported two hotels. The next year modest oil reserves were discovered 5 miles southeast of town. By 1940, Elgin was a center for area agriculture and had two brick and tile plants. During World War II, Elgin benefited by its proximity to Camp Swift located 11 miles northeast of town. In the 1950s a third brick company and a sausage company were established. The town annually produces 267 million bricks and 3 million pounds of sausage, and bills itself as “The Sausage Capital of Texas.” Several movies have been filmed in Elgin, including The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, The Great Waldo Pepper, What’s eating Waldo Pepper, A Perfect World, and a portion of The Alamo. Many Elgin residents commute to Austin for work. Elgin is located at the intersections of U.S.290, SH 95, FM 1704, FM 1100 and FM 3000, 26.6 miles northeast of Austin, 36.7 miles southwest of Georgetown, 57 miles southeast of Belton, 26.9 miles southeast of Granger, 8.4 miles southeast of Coupland, 41.5 miles southwest of Rockdale, 51 miles northwest of La Grange, 48.5 miles northwest of Round Top, 30.6 miles northwest of Giddings, 30 miles northwest of Smithville, 18 miles northwest of Bastrop, 49 miles northeast of Lockhart, and 48 miles east of Lakeway, Texas.  
 
Elgin, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“After Houston & Texas Central Railroad built through this area in 1871, town was platted (1872) and named for Robert M. Elgin (1825-1913), H. & T. C. land commissioner. Brick and tile, for which Elgin is widely known, have been chief products here since 1882 when Thomas O'Connor (1846-1937) made hand-molded, sun-dried brick. Other manufacturing and agricultural products bolster the economy.
Settlers of six ethnic origins have made the city a center of cultural richness, with good homes, churches and schools.” The marker is located on N. Main Street (SH 95).
 
Elgin’s Historic Downtown District:
The Elgin Commercial National Historic District consists of 14 city blocks with 67 historic commercial and industrial buildings. Most of these buildings were constructed of locally produced brick and were erected from 1872 to 1947. A majority of the buildings on Main Street, from Depot Street to First Street, have been restored, and others are under renovation. The Elgin Main Street Program provides a variety of incentives to building owners such as a discounted paint program, free dumpsters, and free advice on architectural design and restoration. Primary funding for downtown projects comes from the annual October Hogeye Festival. Elgin became a Texas Main Street City in 1990, and in 1999, 2000 and 2001 was selected as a National Main Street Community. Group walking tours of this historic district, Acme Brick and Southside Market & BBQ may be arranged through the chamber of commerce. (512) 229-3213.