Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - 38,524
2000 Census - 36,081
Duncanville, Texas
Duncanville Texas History:
In 1845, Crawford Trees purchased several thousand acres south of Camp Davis. In 1855 Trees donated land for the Little Bethel Male and Female School which also served as a church building until 1881. When the Chicago, Texas and Mexican Central Railway built a line through the area in 1880 they named the station Duncan Switch. In 1882 Charles P. Nance, the community's first postmaster, renamed the settlement Duncanville. Though a fire in 1884 destroyed most of the community's commercial buildings, by the late 1800s dry goods stores, a pharmacy, a domino parlor, and a school existed in Duncanville. The town incorporated with 225 acres in 1947. The town’s fire department offers a book, coloring book and crayons to children being transported to the hospital for treatment or with a parent seeking treatment. Duncanville is bordered by Cedar Hill to the southeast and De Soto to the southeast. Duncanville is situated on the northeastern shore of Joe Pool Lake and just southeast of Mountain Creek Lake. Duncanville is located at the intersection of IH-20 and U.S. 67 (S.G. Alexander Freeway), 29.5 miles southeast of Fort Worth, 16.6 miles southeast of Arlington, 29.5 miles southwest of Grapevine, 15 miles southeast of Irving, 16.4 miles southwest of Dallas, 37 miles northwest of Ennis, 24 miles northwest of Waxahachie, 13 miles northwest of Lancaster, 7 miles northwest of DeSoto, 39 miles northeast of Cleburne, 13 miles northeast of Midlothian, and 6 miles northeast of Cedar Hill, Texas.
Historic Duncanville, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“This area was first settled in the 1840s and 1850s by pioneer farmers and ranchers. In 1881 the Chicago, Texas & Mexican Central Railroad extended a line here and constructed a switching station. John Duncan, who lived in the vicinity, was instrumental in securing railroad right-of-way. As a result, the area became known as Duncan Switch. Charles P. Nance and Chris Horne opened the first business in the area, a store at this site. Nance applied for a post office for Duncan but was denied because there was already a Duncan, Texas. He then changed the name to Duncanville. On Oct. 12, 1882, the post office was approved and opened in the store. Acquired by the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad in 1883, the rail line through this area allowed local goods to be shipped to distant markets. Duncanville's growth was gradual, however, and by the 1930s only about 300 people lived here. Incorporated in 1947 with D. L. Hopkins, Jr. as the first mayor, the town began to experience Rapid Growth in the 1950s and 1960s as a result of nearby urban development. Today, Duncanville serves as the center of a major commercial area. Its continued development as one of the fastest growing towns in Texas reflects its rich heritage and community pride.” The marker is located in the 300 Block of North Main.
Historic Penn Springs, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“This area was an important early campsite and watering spot for Indians and pioneer settlers. Two springs formed a natural pool which served as a landmark for wagon trains and cattle drives on the Shawnee Trail. In the 1850s the site was settled by the family of Maj. John Penn of Illinois, who had first visited here in 1848. On July 4, 1882, Penn Springs was the scene of a Confederate reunion of Parson's Texas Cavalry. Owned by Penn Family members until 1895, the springs have continued to play an important role in the development of Duncanville.” The marker is located at the intersection of Danieldale Road and Penn Springs Road.
International Museum of Cultures, Dallas:
Exhibits depict the cultures of the Philippines, the Ngbaka, Native Americans, Southeast Asia, and others. Additional exhibits include primitive weapons and the Drumbeats of the World exhibit. A small admission fee applies. Open Mon-Fri, 10am-4pm. Group tours of ten or more are available on Saturdays and Sundays by appointment. A small admission fee applies. (972) 708-7406. 7500 W. Camp Wisdom Road, Dallas TX 75236. The museum is located on the campus of the International Linguistics Center.
Duncanville Community Theatre:
This theater group offers several performances each year. Call or email for reservations. (972) 780-5707. 106 S. Main Street. Email 
Duncanville Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, genealogy and local history areas, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. It offers two quiet study rooms and a children’s area. The library shares a building with the Duncanville Recreation Center. Open Tue-Thu, 10am-8pm; Fri, 10am-6pm; Sat, 10am-5pm; closed Sunday and Monday. (972) 780-5050. 201 James Collins Boulevard