Contact
 
 
County
DeWitt
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 6,841
2000 Census - 6,571
Nearby
Towns
Cuero, Texas
null
Cuero Texas History:
In 1846, the Cuero post office opened in Daniel Boone Friar’s store located four miles north of the present day Cuero. In the early 1870s the Gulf, Western Texas and Pacific Railroad began construction on a line linking Indianola and San Antonio. Gustav Schleicher surveyed the land for the railroad. The railroad plans included establishing a stop at the midpoint of the line located four miles from the Cuero post office. In 1872, settlers began establishing businesses and residents at the planned stop. Schleicher established the Cuero Land and Immigration Company, and hired Robert J. Kleberg to plat the town of Cuero which he did in January 1873, the same year the railway arrived in the new Cuero. Cuero incorporated in 1875 and replaced Clinton as the DeWitt county seat in 1876. Cuero continued to grow as Clinton declined. Early Cuero businesses included Otto Buchel’s bank, J.R. Nagel’s hardware store, and the H. Runge and Company, a branch of Henry’s Runge’s Indianola based store and bank; Edward Mugge, Sr. managed the Cuero branch. Cuero’s population received an additional boost after the hurricanes of 1875 and 1886 destroyed Indianola, causing residents and businesses to flee to Cuero. Businesses that moved to Cuero included the headquarters of the Henry’s Runge’s store and bank and its officers, William Frobese, Sr. and Emil Reiffert, Sr. In 1886 the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway built a line connecting Cuero to Houston. Also during this time, two bridges were built across the Guadalupe River. Hopes that Cuero’s proximity to the Guadalupe River would allow Cuero to become a major shipping town never materialized. In 1887 Cuero had a population of 2,500, comprised mostly of Anglos and Germans. It also had newspapers, churches, two schools, an opera house, a railroad machine shop, a steam powered cotton textile factory, a fire department and a hotel. Industries included truck farming, cotton, poultry and livestock. By 1890 the town had a large cottonseed oil mill, three large cotton gins, two bottling plants a cigar factory, a tannery, a private electric company, a hospital and an ice factory. By 1906 Cuero was shipping turkeys nationwide. Cuero is home of the Turkey Trot Parade (now Turkeyfest) which began in 1912. Today Cuero is a farming, ranching, and oil and gas center. One of the pride and joys of Cuero residents is the Cuero Municipal Park and rightly so. Park amenities include a lake, a rodeo arena, a golf course and an airport. Cuero is located on the Guadalupe River at the intersections of U.S.183/U.S. 77 (Esplanade Street), U.S. 87, SH 72, FM 766, and FM 266, 16 miles northeast of Yorktown, 24 miles northeast of Nordheim, 41 miles northeast of Kenedy, 49 miles northeast of Karnes City, 13.6 miles north of Meyersville, 31 miles north of Goliad, 27.5 miles northwest of Victoria, 56 miles northwest of Edna, 17 miles southwest of Yoakum, 24 miles southwest of Sweet Home, 26 miles southwest of Shiner, 34 miles southwest of Hallettsville, 33 miles southeast of Gonzales, 35 miles southeast of Nixon, 65 miles southeast of Seguin, 15.5 miles southeast of Westhoff, and 86 miles southeast of San Antonio, Texas. 
 
DeWitt County Courthouse, 1897:
The courthouse was designed in Romanesque revival style, and built by architect A.O. Watson; it was completed by Eugene Heiner. It was built out of brown sandstone and pink granite quarried from Granite Mountain in Marble Falls, Texas. The courthouse interior was remodeled in 1957 and 2007; the exterior remains the same. The courthouse is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a Texas Historical Landmark. The Old Chisholm Trail Centennial Monument is located on the courthouse grounds. The 2010 DeWitt County census was 20,097. (361) 275-0916. 307 North Gonzales Street.