Contact
 
 
County
Burnet
Region
Hill Country
Nearby
Lakes
Lake Lyndon B. Johnson
null
Lake LBJ and Wirtz Dam Information:  
The 6,375 surface acre Lake LBJ was formed by the construction of the Wirtz Dam (formerly called Granite Shoals Dam) on the Colorado River. Lake impoundment began in 1951. The dam was built in conjunction with the building of the Max Starcke Dam below Lake LBJ on Lake Marble Falls. The lake was initially named Granite Shoals Lake. It was renamed Lake LBJ in 1965. It is 22 miles long has a maximum depth of 90 feet, and is surrounded by steep hills and granite bluffs. The lake level varies an average of one to two feet annually. Most of the shoreline is privately owned, offering few public access points. The mouth of the Llano River is located on the Colorado River at the north end of Lake LBJ near Kingsland. The Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) manages the lower Colorado River, Lake LBJ and the other six Highland Lakes. Wirtz Dam is located 2 miles west of Marble Falls on Wirtz Dam Road. 
Lake LBJ Area Map
Current Lake LBJ Lake Level    
TPWD Lake LBJ Public Access Facilities Map
 
Colorado River:
The Colorado River is the largest of the rivers that exist wholly in Texas. The river rises in intermittent draws in northeastern Dawson County and flows generally southeastward for 600 miles before it bends to the east across southern Burnet County and continues its southeastern course across Travis, Bastrop, Payette, Colorado, Wharton, and Matagorda Counties to its mouth on Matagorda Bay near Palacios, Texas. Major towns on its route include Austin, Lamesa, Colorado City, Robert Lee, Ballinger, Paint Rock, Marble Falls, Bastrop, Smithville, La Grange, Columbus, Wharton, Bay City and Matagorda. Important reservoirs (lakes) on the Colorado include Lake J.B. Thomas, E.V. Spence Reservoir, Buchanan Lake, Inks Lake, Lake LBJ, Lake Marble Falls, Lake Travis, Lake Austin, and Lady Bird Lake (Town Lake) in Austin; the latter 7 lakes are known as the Highland Lakes. Early in the 19th century the river’s slow current caused the formation of a raft, or a log jam, which gradually grew upstream so that the river was navigable in 1839 for only ten miles above its mouth. By 1858 the situation in Matagorda and Wharton counties had become so bad that the state appropriated funds for the construction of a new channel around the raft; the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers opened the channel in the mid-1800s, but it was not maintained so the raft filled it up. After the Civil War the Colorado ceased to be a factor in transportation. The delta that developed after removal of the log jam in 1925, reached across Matagorda Bay as far as Matagorda Peninsula by 1936. In 1936 a channel was dredged through the new delta from the Gulf of Mexico to the town of Matagorda, thus forcing the river to deposit its flotsam and sediment directly into the Gulf. With the removal of the raft, the seaport town of Matagorda gradually became landlocked. The present Caney Creek channel was the original channel of the Colorado River until approximately a thousand years ago. The Lower, Central, and Upper Colorado River Authorities are the three agencies that oversee the conservation of and use of the Colorado River.  Fish Stocking History
 
Llano River:
The Llano River rises in two spring-fed branches, the North and South Llano Rivers. The North Llano rises in west central Sutton County and flows generally east for approximately forty miles to its confluence with the South Llano, just east of Junction in Kimble County. The South Llano rises in northwestern Edwards County and flows northeast for fifty-five miles to meet the North Llano River. The Llano River proper flows east for approximately 100 miles, crossing Kimble, Mason, and Llano Counties on its way to its mouth on the Colorado River, at Lake Lyndon B. Johnson (LBJ) near Kingsland. Settlement of the Llano River valley began in the mid-to-late 1840s, when German Americans from Fredericksburg moved north. The communities of Castell, Hedwigs Hill, and Llano had been established by the mid-1850s, and the arrival of the railroad in the 1870s led to the flourishing of Kingsland and Junction. The Telegraph and Roosevelt communities, in the river's upper reaches, were not established until the 1880s, when the threat of Indian raids had been eliminated. The river has a constant flow and provides excellent opportunities for canoeing. The South Llano River State Park offers camping and other recreation activities. Fish Stocking History  South Llano River Fish Stocking History