2000 Census - 798
Eustace Texas History:
When the Texas and New Orleans Railroad built a line between Kemp and Athens in 1900, there was only one person living in the area and he was living in a rented cabin. Area businesses and residents moved to the site to be closer to the railroad. The community that developed was first named Moseley after L.W. Moseley who sold the right-of-way to the railroad, and sold town lots. The Jolo post office was established in 1900. That same year the town and post office were renamed Eustace after popular Confederate Civil War Veteran Captain Eustace. Within the first year, the town had 150 residents. By 1904 it had three churches, two general stores, a grocery and a restaurant, a blacksmith, a cotton gin and a saloon. The economy was first based on cotton. Later it was based on livestock and agriculture. The discovery of oil in the 1970s and 1980s added to the town’s economic base. The town benefits from tourism provided by its proximity to the Cedar Creek Reservoir added tourism. Purtis Creek State Park is located 3 miles north of town off FM 316 North. Movie scenes from the movie “Fire From Below” were filmed in several Eustace locations in November 2007. Many Eustace residents served as movie extras. Downtown Eustace features a town square with a gazebo. This area is a popular location for community events. Eustace is located east of Cedar Creek Reservoir at the intersections of U.S. 175, FM 316, RR 2329 and FM 2709, 55 miles southeast of Mesquite, 28 miles southeast of Kaufman, 10 miles east of Gun Barrel City and the Cedar Creek Islands WMA, 7 miles southeast of Mabank, 21.8 miles southwest of Canton, 46.5 miles southwest of Tyler, 35 miles west of Chandler, 18.8 miles northwest of Murchison, 11.8 miles northwest of Athens, 30 miles northeast of Richland Chambers Reservoir and WMA, and 40 miles northeast of Corsicana, Texas.
Tara Vineyard & Winery, Eustace & Athens:
They produce a selection of fine red and white wines, and host live music and cookouts on most Saturdays. Tasting hours are Saturday at 2:30pm or by appointment. They have remodeled their tasting room. If you purchase their wine bottles and have one opened on the patio, they charge a corking fee. (903) 675-7023. They are located at 8603 CR 3914, approximately 5.5 miles northwest of downtown Athens, and 5 miles southeast of Eustace.
Annual Eustace Pioneer Day & 5K Run/Walk, June:
Activities include children’s entertainment, arts and crafts vendors, food vendors, a parade, a 42 domino tournament, bingo, a horseshoe tournament, a cake walk, a bed race, an egg toss, a parade, and a street dance and live entertainment. (903) 425-2751. (903) 425-4702.
Annual Tour of Homes, TBA:
(903) 425-2751. (903) 425-4702.
Annual Christmas on the Square and Lighted Parade, Dec:
Sue's Roost Cafe on the Square:
This restaurant is considered to have the best chicken fried steak in the area. The steak is hand breaded, well-seasoned, and served with creamy gravy and seasoned vegetable. They also serve great homemade pies. Open Mon-Sat, 7am-2pm; closed Sunday. (903) 425-8008. The restaurant is located at 103 Edgar Street, across from the town square and gazebo. Reviews