Contact
 
 
Counties
Aransas, Kleberg, Nueces, San Patricio
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 305,215
2000 Census - 277,454
Nearby
Towns
Corpus Christi, Texas
null
Corpus Christi History:
The seaport city of Corpus Christi is located at the mouth of the Nueces River on the west end of Corpus Christi Bay. Original inhabitants were the Karankawa Indians who migrated up and down the coast between Galveston Island and Corpus Christi. In 1519 on the Roman Catholic Feast Day of Corpus Christi, Spanish explorer Alonza Alvarez de Pineda discovered Corpus Christi Bay. The town and bay were named after the feast day which celebrates the “Body of Christ.” 
In 1749, Joaquin de Orobio y Basterra led an expedition down the Nueces River, reaching the bay on February 26. After his return, Jose de Escandon, governor and captain general of Nuevo Santander, proposed founding a settlement at the mouth of the Nueces; in the summer of 1749 fifty families accompanied by a squadron of soldiers and two priests set out to colonize the area, but gave up due to drought. Over the years other plans and/or attempts were made to settle the area, but none were successful until 1838.
The town of Corpus Christi began as Kinney’s Trading Post (or Kinney’s Ranch) which was founded in 1838-39 by Colonel Henry Lawrence Kinney, an adventurer, impresario and colonizer. Hostile Indians forced Kinney to abandon his store in 1842, but he returned soon after to successfully reestablish his business. When General Zachary Taylor set up camp at the store from July 1845 to March 1846, store profits soared. Soldiers stationed with Zachary Taylor included future U.S. presidents Taylor, Franklin Pierce and Ulysses S. Grant, and future Confederate President Jefferson Davis. In 1849 Forbes Britton, who served under General Taylor, built a house on a cliff overlooking Corpus Christi Bay adjacent to Kinney’s Trading Post. Now called the “Centennial House” or the “Britton-Evens House,” this house at 411 North Broadway is the oldest house between San Antonio and Laredo, Texas. The devastating 1919 hurricane convinced civic and business leaders that for the city to survive it needed to establish a deep water port. In 1922 President Warren G. Harding approved a harbor and rivers act authorizing the construction of a 30 foot deep ship channel from the gulf to a protected harbor; the Corpus Christi Port opened in 1926. The opening of the port allowed Corpus Christi to immediately begin growing and prospering. Today Corpus Christi exports cotton, grain sorghums, and wheat; it ships fuel oils, gasoline, crude petroleum, and natural gas. The economy is also supported by the Corpus Christi Naval Air Station, manufacturing, agriculture, fishing, and tourism. A wind farm is being constructed (two of them) along the Gulf coast in Kenedy County near Laguna Madre south of Corpus Christi. Corpus Christi’s transportation needs are met by the Port of Corpus Christi, the Texas Mexican, Southern Pacific, and Missouri Pacific Railroads, and by Corpus Christi International Airport. Corpus Christi has city-wide free Wi-Fi. The 7 mile long Ocean Drive connects Texas A & M University at Corpus Christi with the Bayfront Science Park and the Art Museum of South Texas. Mustang Beach Marker 62 is at the City limits of Corpus Christi and Port Aransas. Corpus Christi is located on U.S. 37, 217 miles southeast of Austin, 143 miles southeast of San Antonio, 39 miles southwest of Port Aransas (via SH 361), 30 miles southwest of Rockport and Fulton, and 44 miles northeast of Kingsville, Texas.  
 
Port Corpus Christi:
The port is the sixth largest port in the United States and has a channel depth of 45 feet. It provides quick access to the Gulf of Mexico, and provides links to the Texas Mexican, Southern Pacific, and Missouri Pacific Railways. The port is located off Ocean Drive and North Shoreline Boulevard. The 1959 Corpus Christi Harbor Bridge (Hwy 181) spans the Port of Corpus Christi.    
 
Naval Air Station Corpus Christi:
From IH-37 north of Corpus Christi, take exit 4A south onto SH 358 east; stay on this route (South Padre Island Drive); you will see signs to the Naval Air Station base entrance before crossing the bay to Padre Island. Naval Air Station Bird Checklist
 
Coastal Bend Veterans Cemetery, 54 Acres:
The cemetery opened in December, 2011. It is located on 54 acres donated by Flint Hills Resources. (361) 248-4830. 9974 IH-37 Access Road, 78410. The cemetery entrance is located on the westbound access (Up River Road) east of Carbon Plant Road and west of Rand Morgan Road. Vehicles should exit Rand Morgan Road.
 
Corpus Christi Seamen's Center:
The Seamen’s Center is dedicated to helping foreign seamen who are in port in Corpus Christi. Amenities include a chapel, a recreation area with pool tables, table tennis, table top games, magazines, books, movies, snacks and beverages, Email and internet access, and other services. The center is funded by donations. Open 11am-10pm daily. (361) 883-8405. 1501 Mesquite Street, Corpus Christi, 78401.
 
Nueces County Courthouse & Photo, 1977:
This high rise courthouse was designed in modern style by architects Smyth & Smyth, Kipp & Winston, Wisznia & Petersen, Bennet, and Martin & Solka. The 2010 Nueces County census was 340,223.  (361) 888-0111. 901 Leopard Street, 78401.
 
Nueces County Courthouse & Photos, 1914 Courthouse:
This courthouse was designed in Classical Revival style by architect Harvey L. Page. After several expansions, it was abandoned and fenced in. The courthouse is located adjacent to U.S. Highway 181.