2000 Census - 4,482
Comanche Texas History:
In 1858, John Duncan donated 240 acres on Indian Creek for the establishment of a new county seat for Comanche County. The Comanche County commissioners accepted his offer and Ransom Tuggle platted the townsite which replaced Cora as county seat. T.J. Nabors built the first house. The Comanche post office was established in 1860. Comanche quickly became a commercial and supply center for area ranchers. The town incorporated in 1873. In the early 1890s, the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway began servicing the town. In 1915, the town was a farm marketing center and a transportation center and had approximately 4,500 residents. In the 1940s the town’s main industries were cheese, pecan and peanuts, grains, and wool and mohair . In the 1970s Comanche was a marketing and processing center for peanuts, fruits and livestock. Proctor Lake was impounded six miles northeast of town in 1963. The lake provides flood control and recreation opportunities. The city operates a park on RR 573, three miles south of town on Lake Eanes. Comanche is located at the intersections of U.S. 377, U.S. 67 and SH 36, 55 miles northeast of Coleman, 46 miles northeast of Santa Anna, 27 miles northeast of Brownwood, 39 miles southeast of Cross Plains, 26.7 miles southeast of Rising Star, 47 miles southeast of Eastland, 16 miles slightly southwest of De Leon, 34 miles southwest of Stephenville, 21 miles southwest of Dublin, 12.7 miles southwest of Proctor, 42 miles southwest of Hico, 33 miles northwest of Hamilton, 55.5 miles north of San Saba, and 34 miles north of Goldthwaite, Texas.
Comanche County Courthouse, 1939-1941:
Comanche became the Comanche County Seat in 1859. The courthouse was designed in modern style by architect Wyatt Hendrick of Fort Worth. The majority of the funds for the courthouse construction came from the WPA. It was built of local limestone and some material from the stunning 1890 Courthouse which was razed. Texas Historical Markers on the courthouse square include the courthouse marker, the Fleming Oak marker, and a “Raid in Comanche” marker. The 2010 Comanche County census was 13,974. (325) 356-2466. 101 West Central Street, Comanche, TX 76442. Email
Old Cora Comanche County Courthouse, 1856:
Old Cora, the first Comanche County Courthouse, was a “picket house” constructed of split logs set vertically in a ditch and covered with boards. This courthouse was built in the original Comanche County seat of Cora in 1856, and was moved to Comanche when Comanche became the county seat. It is the oldest standing courthouse in Texas. It is located on the courthouse square at 100 West Central Street.
Historic Comanche County Jail, 1903:
This impressive limestone jail was built by Martin & Moodie Contractors for $27,000. It had a hospital room and separate cells for women, men, boys, misdemeanor criminals, felons, lunatics, and others. The jail is located on the courthouse square at 101 West Central Street.