Contact
 
 
County
Crosby
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 1,741
2000 Census - 1,874
Nearby
Towns
Crosbyton, Texas
null
Crosbyton Texas History:
The C. B. Livestock Company purchased 90,000 acres from the Kentucky Cattle Company in 1902, and by 1912 had established a 10,000 acre demonstration farm. Between 1907 and 1915, the company promoted the area as a great cotton growing region, and sold land to cotton farmers. In 1908, the company platted the Crosbyton townsite and sold town lots. The Crosbyton post office was established in June of that year. In 1910, Crosbyton was elected the Crosby County seat. The election resulted in a legal dispute with Emma, Texas. In 1976, Texas Tech University established a solar power project at Crosbyton. The United States Department of Energy awarded a $2.5 million contract to Texas Tech for construction of a sixty-five-foot mirrored dish 2.5 miles south of Crosbyton. At the time it was the largest single solar collector in the world and was designed to reduce energy costs by converting solar power to electricity for use by the city-owned power plant. Crosbyton, a commercial and marketing center for hogs, wheat, and grain sorghum, was also at one time the home of the world's largest cotton gin. Crosbyton is located at the intersection of U.S. 82/SH 114 and FM 651, 40.5 miles northeast of Slaton, 38.5 miles northeast of Lubbock, 64 miles southeast of Hale Center via Lubbock, 55.7 miles southeast of Plainview, 28.7 miles southeast of Floydada, 25 miles west of Dickens, 58 miles northwest of Jayton, and 37.6 miles northeast of Post, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52 county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and the Plains Region. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle. The most northern town is Lipscomb, Texas. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a non-profit historical organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization raises money through donations for use in preserving historical sites, creating new and improving existing museums, and creating heritage trails. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas, is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured by the Noconi Comanche during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanche, married Comanche Chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Lawrence S. Ross, a future Governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great Chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s biggest projects is the Quanah Parker Arrow Trail.  When completed, giant Quanah Parker Arrows will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow has a plaque giving pertinent historical information.  (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Crosby County Courthouse, 1914:
The brick courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style by architect M. H. Waller. The Crosby County Veterans Memorial is located on the courthouse square. The 2010 Crosby County census was 6,059. (806) 675-2011. 201 West Aspen Street.  
 
Crosby County Veterans Memorial:
The memorial commemorates over 2,000 Crosby County residents who served in the United States military. The memorial features six marble columns listing these service men and women. The memorial is located on the courthouse square at 201 West Aspen Street.