Contact
 
 
County
Colorado
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 75
Nearby
Towns
Frelsburg, Texas
null
Frelsburg Texas History:
The town was founded in 1837 by German immigrants Capt. William Frels and his brother John. Captain Frels served in the Texas Revolutionary Army; after the war he donated land for the townsite, a school, a parsonage, and a Protestant church and cemetery. The original settlers were Germans immigrants from the area around Holstein and Oldenburg. Most of these settlers were farmers. The Frelsburg post office was established in 1847. By the early 1950s, the community consisted of a cotton gin, a blacksmith, harness makers and general stores. After the Civil War the majority of the land was devoted to the production of cotton. Frelsburg farmer Frank Walls, Sr. is credited with inventing the first automatic cotton distributor and cleaner for use in gins. In the 1870s the town was bypassed by the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway, and by the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway, though the town remained prosperous through the mid-1900s. Its post office closed in 1908. After the 1950s farming began to die out as small farms shifted to raising beef cattle. Discovery of the nearby Frelsburg gas field removed more land from crop production and encouraged absentee ownership. There are many wildlife ranches in the area. Frelsburg is located at the intersection of FM 1291 and FM 109, 57 miles southeast of Bastrop, 25 miles slightly southeast of La Grange, 42 miles south of Somerville, 77 miles west of Houston, 26 miles southwest of Brenham, 32 miles northwest of San Felipe, 26 miles northwest of Sealy, 9.6 miles northwest of Fayetteville, and 34 miles northeast of Schulenburg, Texas.
   
Historic Frelsburg, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“First German settlement in Colorado County. Founded in 1837 by William Frels who immigrated to Texas in 1834 and fought for Independence, 1835-1836. Proposed site of Hermann University, first institution of higher learning sponsored by Germans. Chartered by the republic of Texas in 1844, but never established.” The marker is located in Frelsburg on FM 109, just south of the intersection of FM 1291 and FM 109.
 
Historic Zimmersheidt School, 1857, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“This one room schoolhouse is one of several still in existence in Texas. The land was donated by Frederick Zimmerscheidt; the school served the community from 1857 to 1948 when it was consolidated with the Columbus ISD.” It is located on FM 109 between Columbus and Frelsburg, approximately 10 miles north of Columbus. (979) 732-5135.
 
Frelsburg’s Beautiful Churches:
The 1847 St. Peter and Paul Catholic Church (1031 Church Lane) is an impressive church featuring beautiful wood carved doors and stained glass windows, and tall columns at the front of the building.  The Frelsburg Baptist and Lutheran churches are beautiful white country churches.
 
Historic Saint Peter & Saint Paul Catholic Church:       
“The exterior of the building is an interesting mix of architectural styles, with Corinthian columns on the front and Tudor shaped doors on the side of the building.  Once inside, worshippers will find three ornate wood altars that were shipped from Germany, along with beautiful stained glass from Europe, carved by Sarasota, Florida artist Ron Estep, and statues cast from plaster molds.” The church is not open to the public as a museum; call for Mass schedule. (979) 732-3430. The church is located at 1031 Church Lane, Frelsburg, Texas.
 
Historic Saints Peter & Paul Catholic Church, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Pioneer German Catholic immigrants who settled in this area in the early 1830s founded Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church about 1843. The congregation initially attended services held by itinerant priests known as "saddle bag" priests including the Rev. John Odin and the Rev. J.P. Oge. A log sanctuary was built here in 1844 and in 1847 the church became an official parish. The Rev. J.A. Jacobs served as its first resident priest. A cemetery was established here in 1847 with the burial of Gertrude Schemmer Halfmann. During the early 1830s the church was led by the Rev. Peter V. Gury and had become the principal religious institution for settlements as distant as 50 miles. Galveston, Bishop John Odin and the Rev. Gury founded the first Catholic seminary in Texas here in 1854.
The church erected new sanctuaries here in 1861 and again in 1912. The 1912 structure was destroyed by fire in 1826 and replaced with this sanctuary which was completed in 1927-1928. The building exhibits classical features such as Corinthian columns, dentils, and pediment gable ends. Other prominent features of this building include Gothic windows and Tudor-arched double entry doors. Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church continues to serves the community.  
 
Historic Trinity Lutheran Church, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“William Frels came to Texas from Germany in 1834 and joined other pioneers settling here. Frontier pastors such as the Rev. J.C. Ervendberg cared for their religious needs. In 1855 Frels gave sites for a church and cemetery and the Rev. C. Roehm organized the congregation. For years the pastors taught a day school. The Texas Evangelical synod met here on various occasions. The present sanctuary replaced an earlier one destroyed in a windstorm. In 1930 Trinity joined with other congregations to originate the American Lutheran Church. English language services began in 1932.”  
 
Heinsohn’s Country Store, 1920:
This store is still open; it sells a little bit of everything. They also sell online. Open Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm; Sat, 8am-2pm. (800) 300-5081. (979) 732-5081. The store is located in Frelsburg at 1560 FM 109, at the intersection of FM 109 and FM 1291. Email