Contact
 
 
County
Fort Bend
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 1,134
2000 Census - 716
Nearby
Towns
Fulshear, Texas
null
Fulshear Texas History:
Tennessean Churchill Fulshear, one of Stephen F. Austin’s Original Three Hundred settlers, established a plantation in the area in the early 1920s. A small settlement grew up around Fulshear’s cotton gin and flour mill. Around 1888, the nearby community of Pittsville refused to grant the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway a right-of-way., so Fulshear’s son granted the railroad a right-of-way through his property. The settlement began to grow as many Pittsville families moved to be closer to the railroad. In 1890, the Fulshear townsite was platted and the Fulshear post office was established. By 1898, the town had eleven stores, three saloons, a school, a hotel and 250 residents. The town quickly recovered from the 1910 fire that destroyed a section of the business district. By 1920, Fulshear had 300 residents. The population fell to 100 during the Great Depression and remained under 250 until the spread of Houston in the late 1970s. Fulshear incorporated in the early 1980s. In 1988, the town had 623 residents. Important industries include soybeans, cotton, rice, corn, poultry and cattle. Fulshear is located on the Brazos River a mile south of IH-10 at the intersection of FM 359 and FM 1463, 21 miles southeast of Sealy, 17.9 miles southeast of San Felipe, 7.5 miles southeast of Brookshire, 33 miles southeast of Hempstead, 10 miles southwest of Katy, 35.5 miles west of Houston, 16.7 miles northwest of Richmond, 25 miles north of Needville, 36 miles northeast of Wharton, 36 miles northeast of Eagle Lake, and 16 miles northeast of Wallis, Texas.
 
Historic City of Fulshear, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“On July 16, 1824, Land Grant of Mexico to Churchill Fulshear, one of the “Old 300” Settlers of Stephen F. Austin, Father of Texas. Churchill Fulshear, Jr., Veteran of Texas War for Independence, built 4-story brick mansion in 1850s, bred and raced horses at Churchill Downs (at Pittsville, 2 miles). His pupil, John Huggins, won world fame by training first American horse to win the English Derby. Town platted here 1890 by San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad. Soon was trade center with many facilities. The Rev. J.H. Holt was first (1894) pastor of the still existent Methodist Church.”
 
Historic Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“In 1910, I.G. Mayes conveyed two acres of land from the Mason Briscoe estate to the Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church at this site. Around 1930, community residents and church members began using the land behind the sanctuary as a cemetery. The first marked grave, that of Will Brown, dates to 1933; there is evidence of unmarked graves that may, however, indicate earlier burials. The cemetery, which also served as the site for a school and a church, features many handmade concrete grave markers, as well as veterans' graves.” 6407 Bois d’ Arc Lane.
 
Bob Lutts Fulshear/Simonton Branch Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, genealogy materials, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The library has a Genealogy & Local History Room. It also offers free Hoopla Digital, a Netflix type service permitting members to download movies, e-books, music and other entertainment to their personal devices. Up to five may be downloaded each month either in the library or online. Open Mon, noon-8pm; Tue & Wed, 10am-6pm; Thu, 10am-8pm; Fri, noon-5pm; Sat, 10am-5pm; closed Sunday. (281) 633-4675. The library is located at 8100 FM 359 South, Fulshear.  Email 
 
Fulshear-Simonton Senior Center:
The center provides activities, programs and meals for seniors. (281) 533-9400. 6920 Katy Fulshear Road, 77441.