2000 Census - 22,413
Eagle Pass Texas History:
The first settlement established at Eagle Pass was established during the Mexican War (1810-1821) by Texas mounted volunteers who set up an observation post at a smugglers’ Rio Grande River crossing. The trail was known as the El Paso del Aguila for the Mexican Eagles viewed in flight. The observation post was abandoned after the war, but the trail remained popular with traders, trappers and frontiersmen. In 1849, Fort Duncan was established two miles upstream from the river crossing. In 1850, James Campbell established a trading post at the El Paso del Aguila crossing. The settlement that grew up around the trading post was originally named for the crossing, but as more Anglos arrived, the name gradually changed to Eagle Pass. During this time, settlers migrating to the California gold mines established a staging area above Fort Duncan at the site that became known as Camp California. Over time, Eagle Pass residents and businessmen gradually moved to the camp. John Twohig, owner of the Camp California land, surveyed and platted a townsite he named Eagle Pass. In 1851, a stage line was established between San Antonio and Eagle Pass. Our Lady of Refuge Catholic Church was constructed in 1852. During the Civil War, Federal forces occupied Brownsville in 1863, making Eagle Pass an important shipping point for Confederate cotton. In 1871, Eagle Pass became the county seat of the newly organized Maverick County. In 1882, the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway built a line connecting Spofford and Eagle Pass. After the railroad was built into Mexico at Piedras Negras, Eagle Pas became an important International Center. The town was also an important commercial center for area ranches, farms and coal mines. In the 1930s and 1940s, irrigated farming increased the importance of agriculture to the area’s economy. Eagle Pass was 94 percent Hispanic in 1980. Eagle Pass is located across the Rio Grande River from Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Mexico, and is a Texas Main Street City. It is located on the Rio Grande River at the intersection of U.S. 277 and U.S. 57, 55 miles southeast of Del Rio, 45.7 miles slightly southwest of Brackettville, 66 miles southwest of Uvalde, 44 miles northwest of Crystal City, 43 miles northwest of Carrizo Springs, and 125 miles northwest of Laredo, Texas.
Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Mexico:
The Piedras Negras Plaza Principal features historic buildings. The town’s 2010 census was 150,178. Piedras Negras and Del Rio are connected by the Eagle Pass-Piedras Negras International Bridge, the Camino Real International Bridge, and the Eagle Pass Union Pacific International Railroad Bridge.
Maverick County Courthouse, 1885:
The brick and stone courthouse was designed in Romanesque revival style by architects Wahrenberger and Beckman. The interior and exterior of the courthouse have been restored. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (830) 773-3824. 500 Quarry Street, Eagle Pass, Texas 78852
Maverick County Courthouse, 1979:
The current courthouse was designed in modern style by Barton D. Riley and Associates. (830) 773-3824.
Maverick County Jail, 1949:
The jail was designed in art deco style by Weidner and Company. It has been restored and painted to match the 1885 courthouse. The jail is located adjacent to the 1979 courthouse, and north of the 1885 courthouse on Quarry Street.