Contact
 
 
County
Houston
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 6,950
2000 Census - 7,141
Nearby
Towns
Crockett, Texas
null
Crockett Texas History:
Crockett was established in 1837 as the county seat of the newly formed Houston County on land donated by Tennessean Andrew Edwards Gossett. Gossett and his father named the new town after the legendary David Crockett, a former neighbor in Tennessee. The town incorporated in December, 1837. The Crockett post office was established in 1838. During the early years mail was delivered twice a month and a stagecoach ran intermittently between Crocket and Nacogdoches. In 1839, the Alabama-Coushatta and Cherokee Indians raided the town forcing the town's residents to take shelter in the fortified log courthouse. Most of the town’s records were lost in the 1865 fire that destroyed the courthouse and most of the town. In 1872, the Houston and Great Northern Railroad built a line through Crockett. By 1885 Crockett had a school, bank, hotel, an opera house, churches, a newspaper, and 1,200 residents. Oil production began in 1934. Today the town’s economy is based on agriculture, furniture manufacturing, plastics, chemicals and clothing. Famous country music singer Kenny Rogers is from Crockett. The town of Crockett is unusual in that it is circular in shape; the town is circled by Loop 304. The town of Crockett is located west of the Davy Crockett National Forest at the intersections of U.S. 287, SH 7, SH 19, SH 21, FM 2110 and FM 229, 38.8 miles northeast of Madisonville, 33 miles northeast of Centerville, 49 miles southeast of Buffalo, 35 miles southeast of Palestine, 13 miles south of Grapeland, 60 miles southwest of Jacksonville, 46 miles southwest of Rusk, 54 miles southwest of Nacogdoches, 33.6 miles southwest of Alto, 16.7 miles southwest of Kennard, 46 miles west of Lufkin, 46 miles northwest of Corrigan, 48 miles northwest of Onalaska, 28 miles northwest of Groveton, 35 miles north of Riverside and Lake Livingston, 28 miles north of Trinity, and 48 miles northeast of Huntsville State Park and Huntsville, Texas. 
 
Courthouse, Houston County Courthouse, 1939:
This stone courthouse was designed in modern style by architect Blum E. Hester of Houston, Texas. The 2010 Houston County census was 23,732. (936) 544-3255. 401 East Goliad Street.