Contact
 
 
County
Williamson
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 1,136
2000 Census - 1,054
Nearby
Towns
Florence, Texas
null
Florence Texas History:
The town was established as the community of Brooksville in the 1850s. The name was changed to Florence when the post office was established in 1857. Cattle, wheat, and cotton were the main industries. In the 1890s, Florence had a number of retail stores, mills, churches, schools, lodges, hotels, doctors, and photographers, a stone quarry, a bank, and a cheese factory. Florence College was open from approximately 1895 to 2003. The Bartlett and Western Railway operated in Florence from 1912 until 1935. The population reached a high of 1,000 in 1927 before dropping to 421 by 1931. Florence is located West of IH-35 at the intersection of SH 195 (Patterson Avenue) and FM 487 (Main Street), 37 miles northeast of Jonestown and Lake Travis, 26 miles northeast of Leander, 21 miles northeast of Liberty Hill, 20 miles northeast of Bertram, 31.6 miles southeast of Lampasas, 21.6 miles southwest of Killeen, 28 Miles southwest of Belton, 19.3 miles southwest of Salado, 13.7 miles west of Jarrell, 30.4 miles northwest of Granger, 19 miles northwest of Walburg, 18.7 miles northwest of Georgetown, 46 miles north of Austin, and 32.2 miles north of Cedar Park, Texas.  

Gault School of Archaeological Research & Gault Archeological Site Tours:
Much of this non-profit’s prehistoric research project involves the famous Gault Archaeological Site Gault Archaeological Site in Florence, Texas. James Pearce, the first professional archeologist in Texas, first excavated the site in 1929-1930. The current excavation project has been underway since 1998 under the direction of Dr. Michael B. Collins. The Gault Excavation Site has uncovered almost 2 million artifacts dating back to the Clovis period 13,000 years ago. Artifacts from the site are on display in the Bell County Museum. Group school tours are free. For other groups the fee is $10 per person. The Bell County Museum in Belton and the Williamson County Museum in Georgetown offer regularly scheduled site tours for individuals. (512) 245-8734. P.O. Box 2620, San Marcos, Texas 78667. The Bell County Museum ((254) 933-5243) is located at 201 N. Main Street, Belton, TX 76513. The Williamson County Historical Museum ((512) 943-1670) is located in the Historic Farmers Bank Building on the courthouse square at 716 South Austin Avenue, Georgetown, Texas 78626.  Gault Site Virtual Tour  Group Tours Email  2016 Tour Dates 
 
Historic First Baptist Church of Florence, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Settlers in the farming and ranching community of Florence gathered in April 1856 to hear the Rev. Robert Hay Taliaferro (1824-1875) preach and help them formally organize a church. Originally known as the Baptist Church of Christ, the congregation changed its name to First Baptist Church during the first decade of the 20th century. Several noted Baptist ministers have been associated with this congregation, including Taliaferro, the organizing pastor, who came to Texas from Kentucky in 1847, and established a number of Baptist congregations in the new state. Brother E. McDaniel served as first permanent pastor, from 1856 until 1869, soon followed by the Rev. George Washington Baines, from 1870 until 1877. Baines, great-grandfather of U.S. president Lyndon Baines Johnson, came to Texas in 1850 and served as president of Baylor University at Independence, in addition to pastoring a number of Baptist churches in Texas. In 1869, the congregation built its first sanctuary, which also served as a community schoolhouse and as a meeting place for other religious and fraternal organizations in Florence. New facilities were built as needed to accommodate First Baptist Church's growing membership. The congregation's programs of outreach and community assistance have played a significant role in the social and religious heritage of this part of Williamson County.” (254) 793-2221. 106 College Avenue, Florence, Texas 76527. 
 
Historic First United Methodist Church of Florence, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“In 1856, Florence was a small settlement of log cabins and a store or two. It also has a stone building (300 ft. ESE), used as a church and meeting place, on land donated in 1845 by John C. Caskey. Before that time, settlers worshiped in homes and other meeting places. The Methodist congregation in Florence shared the stone building, just as it shared its pastor, early Methodist stone buildings, just as it shared its pastor, early Methodist ministers in Texas rode circuits, serving several communities, the Florence mission, part of the Waco district, was at the head of a circuit. In 1858, Rev. John Carpenter was officially appointed to the church as its first pastor. The congregation bought additional interest in the building, with full ownership in 1910. Members remodeled it and used it until 1924, when they sold it for use as a primitive Baptist church. The Methodist congregation built a new church at this in 1924 and used it until erecting a brick church in 1968. Over the years, the Florence Methodist Church has served the community through its organizations. The Home Mission Society, established in 1890, later became the Women's Society of Christian Service. The Methodist men, in 1957, created a livestock program to raise funds for a new parsonage. Youth groups have also been an important part of the church's mission, with the first junior league established in 1900. The congregation was voted church of the year in 1960 by the central Texas confederate of the Methodist church. Its name changed in 1968 to the First United Methodist Church of Florence, and it continues to be a vital part of its community.” (254) 793-2535. 302 East Curry Street.  
 
Historic Early Church (Florence Primitive Baptist), Texas Historical Marker Text:
“On land given March 8, 1845, by John C. Caskey for cemetery and meeting house. Originally 2-story, the native stone structure is believed to have been built before 1855, financed by J.W. Atkinson and Dr. O. Benedict. In that era it housed a school, Baptist and Methodist worship services, and Masonic and odd Fellows lodges. It was purchased in 1924 by primitive Baptists and reduced to one story in an extensive remodeling in 1950.” Church services are held on the 2nd and 3rd Sundays of each month at 10:30am. The church is located at 100 Suttled Street. (254) 793-2862. 
 
Historic Holy Trinity Catholic Church of Corn Hill, TX:
The twin steeples of this beautiful church in New Corn Hill, Texas are visible for miles around. The New Corn Cemetery is located nearby. New Corn Hill is located just east of IH-35 on FM 1105, 6 miles southeast of Jarrell, 13.6 miles northeast of Walburg, 16 miles southeast of Florence, and 15 miles northeast of Georgetown. Click on the above link for service times. (512) 863-3020. 8626 FM 1105, Jarrell. Email 
 
Eula Hunt Beck Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The library also offers English and Spanish language classes. 207 East Main Street. Open Mon, 8:30am-12pm & 1pm-6pm, Tue-Fri, 1pm-6pm. The library is open the first Saturday of each month, 8:30am-12 noon. (254) 793-2672. 207 East Main Street. Email