Dripping Springs Texas History:
It is thought the first settler in the area was a man named Fawcett who arrived in approximately 1849.
In 1853, the families of Dr. Joseph McKegg Pound, John L. Moss and John Lee Wallace arrived from Mississippi. The Dripping Springs post office was established in 1857 with John Moss as postmaster. By 1884, the town had a general store, a steam gristmill and cotton gin, and a population of 130. The town’s location on the Austin to Fredericksburg Road contributed to the town’s growth. With only minor fluctuations, its population has grown slowly but steadily since World War II
. Many Dripping Springs residents work in Austin. Dripping Springs is located at the intersection of U.S. 290 and RR 12, 21 miles southwest of Lakeway, 23.8 miles southwest of Austin, 16 miles southwest of Oak Hill, 20.4 miles northeast of Buda, 22.3 miles northwest of Kyle, 29 miles northwest of San Marcos, 7.4 miles northwest of Driftwood, 14.3 miles north of Wimberley, 23.3 miles northeast of Fischer, 27 miles northeast of Canyon Lake, approximately 30 miles northeast of Spring Branch, 26.5 miles northeast of Blanco, 24.8 miles northeast of Johnson City, 40.5 miles east of Stonewall, 45 miles southeast of Marble Falls, and 32 miles southeast of Spicewood, Texas.
Historic “Dripping Springs” (not the town) Marker Text:
“Where the Tonkawa once prowled, the cool clear waters of the Edwards Aquifer burst forth along this brook (milk) house branch and drips musically from the limestone over hang. Circa 1850, the Moss, Wallace and Pound families started a small settlement near this dripping spring. One of them, Mrs. Nannie Moss, named the community for the dripping springs. As the community grew it became a stagecoach stop and an educational center with a post office being established in 1857. An aborted effort to establish a military academy in the 1880s evolved into a boarding school under the aegis of the Pedernales Baptist Association. Also during this period the town was laid out with names for streets that were bordered by flag stone sidewalks in 1854. “With a past firmly rooted in faith and civil pride, we face the future with confidence. Robert S. Shelton, Historian. Dedicated by the Dripping Springs Lions club, June 1980 on the property of Mr. and Mrs. Alva C. Haydon.” The springs are located near the west end of Mercer Street; the granite marker marks the site.