Contact
 
 
County
Hays
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 144
2000 Census - 21
Nearby
Towns
Driftwood, Texas
null
Driftwood Texas History:
For a quiet little town, Driftwood sure is a busy and popular place. It was first settled in the 1850s when it was known as Liberty Hill. It became a crossroads supply center when the railroads arrived in nearby Kyle and Buda. By 1890, Driftwood had a post office, a school, churches, a gin and a store. The school consolidated with the Buda School District in 1945. During its early years, the town’s highest recorded population was 100. By the 2014s, the surrounding area was growing rapidly as Austin residents moved into the area. Unincorporated Driftwood is located off FM 1826 at the intersection of FM 150 and Elder Hill Road, 39.5 miles southeast of Spicewood, 7.4 miles southeast of Dripping Springs, 28.4 miles south of Lakeway, 24.6 miles southwest of Austin, 14.9 miles northwest of Kyle, 25.7 miles northwest of San Marcos, 12.8 miles northeast of Wimberley, 21.8 miles northeast of Fischer and Canyon Lake, approximately 37 miles northeast of Spring Branch, 33.9 miles east of Blanco, and approximately 20 miles south of the Circle C subdivision in Austin, Texas.
 
Camp Ben McCulloch, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Hays County Confederate Veterans and their families gathered for a reunion in the summer of 1896 and formally organized the Camp Ben McCulloch chapter of the United Confederate Veterans. The gathering took place near this site at the Martin Springs and campsite on Onion Creek. The reunion grounds were purchased by the organization in 1904 and have continued as the site of the annual reunion with the exception of one year during World War I. The first commander of Camp Ben McCulloch was Capt. Martin Luther Reed. Other officers elected at the first meeting were Jacob C. Quick, W.M. Weaver, W.W. Davis, W.T. Chapman, Dr. J.M. Pound, and Santa Anna Cruze the camp was named for Confederate General Ben McCulloch. Also a veteran of the Texas Revolution who died in the battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas, in 1862. The Reunion grounds and others responsibilities were transferred to the care of the Confederate sons after Burl Nash, the last veteran in the county, died in 1947 at age 108. The sons in turn deeded the camp to the grandsons and other descendants of the Confederate veterans, reunions continue to be held, illustrating the ongoing impact of the Civil War on Texas history.” The marker is located at Camp Ben McCulloch at 18301 FM 1826, across from the Salt Lick BBQ entrance.
 
Barsana Dham Hindu Temple:
This is a stunningly beautiful place with wonderful fountains and pools. The Barsana Dham celebrates all the major Hindu festivals in a grand and devotional style; these festivals are popular with visitors. (512) 288-7180. 400 Barsana Road, Austin TX, 78737.