Corrigan Texas History:
A few sawmills were located in the area prior to the 1881 arrival of the Houston, East and West Texas Railway. The town that developed around the train station was named for Pat Corrigan, the conductor of the first train that passed through the site. In 1882, the Trinity and Sabine Railway built through the town. The railroads drew other lumber companies to the area; at one point the town had 17 sawmills. The Corrigan post office opened in 1883. By 1892, the town had churches, a newspaper, bottle works, stone quarries, sand pits and 1,816 residents. Area farmers produced cotton, tomatoes, and poultry and dairy products. Corrigan is located a few miles south of the Neches River and the Davy Crockett National Forest at the intersections of U.S. 59, U.S. 287 and FM 942, 33 miles southwest of Huntington, 25 miles southwest of Lufkin, 13.9 miles southwest of Diboll, 39 miles southwest of Zavalla, 59 miles northwest of Jasper, 44 miles northwest of Woodville, 29 miles northwest of Colmesneil, 27.5 miles northeast of Onalaska, 21 miles northeast of Lake Livingston and Livingston, and 19 miles southeast of Groveton, Texas.
Historic Corrigan Town, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Located in piney woods of east Texas. Founded about 1860 by landowner and settler James B. Hendry, who donated property for original townsite. When the Texas & New Orleans Railroad was built through area in the early 1880s, a prosperous timber-based economy developed here. The town was named for T. & N. O. official, Pat Corrigan. In 1884 the Trinity & Sabine Timber Company platted town, and soon a hotel, blacksmith shop, several stores, and a 10-pin (bowling) alley appeared. Today lumber, ranching, and farming are primary industries.” The marker is located at the intersection of U.S. 59 and Ben Franklin Street (southwest corner).
Historic Damascus Missionary Baptist Church, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Organized 1863. First pastor, Brother J. R. Dowell. Original building was of logs; had split log benches on peg legs. Replaced by frame building, 1892; the present church, 1950. A charter member of the Angelina Missionary Baptist Association.” The marker is located 7 miles northeast of Corrigan on FM 1987.
Historic Abbott Springs Meadows Cemetery:
“Gravesites of Native Americans and Anglo Americans from 1850 to present.” 255 Meadows Cemetery Road.
Mickey Reily Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. (936) 397-4156. 604 S. Mathews Street, Corrigan, TX 75939
Bill Garsee Rodeo Arena:
(936) 676-3530. 1400 W. 2nd
Street, Corrigan, TX 75939.
Polk County Youth Rodeo, July:
This is one of the largest youth rodeos in the state of Texas. Individuals from all over Texas and neighboring states compete. (936) 327-6828.