Contact
 
 
Counties
Jim Wells, Live Oak, San Patricio
Region
Gulf Coast
Nearby
Lakes
Lake Corpus Christi
null
Lake Corpus Christi Information:
The La Fruita Dam, the original dam, washed out in November of 1929. Lake Corpus Christi, originally known as Lake Lovenskiod, was reformed by damming the Nueces River in 1935. Because of water leakage, the dam was replaced in 1958 with the Wesley E. Seale Dam which has a height of 75 feet. The 19,251 surface acre reservoir (lake) has a maximum depth of 60 feet. The lake provides water for the City of Corpus Christi. The reservoir provides good largemouth bass and catfish fishing. Lake maps are available at the Lake Corpus Christi State Park office on Park Road 25. The lake is owned by the City of Corpus Christi. It is located 4 miles west of Mathis, and approximately 20 miles northwest of Corpus Christi, Texas. 
Lake Location Map
Current Lake Level
TPWD Public Access Facilities Map
Lake Records 
Fish Stocking History 
Latest Survey Report
State Parks Free Fishing Information
 
Nueces River:
The 315 mile long Nueces River rises in two forks approximately 50 miles north of Uvalde in north central Edwards and Real Counties. It flows south through the Texas Hill Country past Barksdale and Crystal City. East of Carrizo Springs it turns east across Dimmit, La Salle, and McMullen Counties. South of Three Rivers in central Live Oak County, it is joined by the combined Atascosa River and Frio River (impounded 3 miles northwest of Three Rivers to form Choke Canyon Reservoir) from the northwest. It then it flows southeast past Mathis where it is impounded to form Lake Corpus Christi; it enters Nueces Bay on the Gulf of Mexico at Corpus Christi. The Nueces is known for its largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, native Guadalupe bass, and a variety of panfish such as redbreast sunfish, rock bass, green sunfish and Rio Grande perch.  Fish Stocking History     
  
Lake Corpus Christi State Park Information:
This 356 acre park is located in San Patricio, Jim Wells and Live Oak Counties, southwest of Mathis, Texas. The TPWD leased the land from Corpus Christi in 1934. The lease runs until 2032. Many of the park's facilities were built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps), Company 886. The CCC was part of the New Deal Program under President FDR during the depression. This program was designed to provide jobs for out of work citizens. The CCC was involved in building many state park facilities across the nation, and some of the CCC's work is absolutely outstanding. Of the original CCC facilities at Lake Corpus Christi State Park, only the refectory and old pavilion remain. The Mediterranean style refectory was built of cast blocks of local caliche, and features a large terrace, a pavilion, a lookout tower, and a cast stone staircase leading to the lake trails. The park is located in a cove where the counties of San Patricio, Jim Wells, and Live Oak meet. The site of the park overlooks an area on the Nueces River which was a disputed boundary between Texas and Mexico. After the war the Rio Grande River became the official boundary. During the spring the park is a riot of bluebonnets and other wildflowers. Park entrance and camping fees apply. For more park information watch the Park Videoand read the Park BrochureFrom Mathis: Take FM 1068 south approximately 4 miles to Park Road 25. Turn right on Park Road 25, and drive to the park entrance. The park is located approximately 30 miles northwest of Corpus Christi.